Jun 25, 2012, 12:55 PM EST
When it comes time to trade Dwight Howard this summer — and make no mistake, new Magic general manager Rob Hennigan will have to move him because he will not re-sign in Orlando — the Magic are not going to give a crap about Howard’s wishes.
Howard may want to land in Brooklyn or some other specified list of spots, but the Magic are going to take the best deal for them.
And if they move fast could come from the Houston Rockets, who have made a push for Howard before even though he has not said he would sign an extension there. We passed along the report the Rockets were looking to make trades for their No. 14 and No. 16 picks to move into the top 10. Maybe with a couple picks and a player like Kevin Martin, the Rockets move way up in the conversation, reports ESPN.
The Rockets’ willingness to trade for Howard — even without the All-Star center’s signature on a contract extension — is an open secret around the league. But it’s believed that two top-eight picks, assuming Houston managed to complete trades with both Sacramento and Toronto, would seriously pique the interest of new Magic general manager Rob Hennigan, who could then quickly start following the same sort of roster-building blueprint relied on by his previous employers in Oklahoma City.
As ESPN’s report points out, the harder part may be convincing Hennigan to make a massive move like trading Howard just a week into being on the job, before he really had a chance to sell Howard on staying. Not that he can, but if you’re Hennigan you have to take a swing at it. You’re not going to get a franchise player in this draft at No. 5 or No. 8.
I expect Howard will get moved this summer, not before the draft. But if Hennigan decides to go that route, Houston could be the landing spot.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (44)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)