Jun 25, 2012, 1:49 AM EST
The Atlanta Hawks have a general manager in Rick Sund… but they are offering the job to someone else.
Specifically, they are offering it to Danny Ferry, the current Spurs assistant and former GM in Cleveland during the LeBron years. The deal is close, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The Atlanta Hawks have offered Danny Ferry their general manager job and are engaged in serious talks toward completing a deal, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. No deal was completed on Sunday afternoon, but there was progress toward an eventual agreement, sources said….
Ferry would replace Hawks GM Rick Sund, who had been leaning toward retirement or taking on an advisory role with his contract expiring after Thursday’s NBA draft.
The Hawks need some changes — and those changes are being forced upon them. They have been stuck in the space of a good but not great team for years. They have Josh Smith, but he reportedly has asked for a trade. They have the good but wildly overpaid Joe Johnson and his increasingly anchor of a contract. They have a star in Al Horford. They have just six players under contract for next season. They have had for years roster that will get you to the playoffs and maybe the second round, but that’s it.
They need a shakeup, but what they really need is a plan. It’s not clear what that has been in Atlanta for a while.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 9
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)