Jun 25, 2012, 1:49 AM EDT
The Atlanta Hawks have a general manager in Rick Sund… but they are offering the job to someone else.
Specifically, they are offering it to Danny Ferry, the current Spurs assistant and former GM in Cleveland during the LeBron years. The deal is close, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The Atlanta Hawks have offered Danny Ferry their general manager job and are engaged in serious talks toward completing a deal, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. No deal was completed on Sunday afternoon, but there was progress toward an eventual agreement, sources said….
Ferry would replace Hawks GM Rick Sund, who had been leaning toward retirement or taking on an advisory role with his contract expiring after Thursday’s NBA draft.
The Hawks need some changes — and those changes are being forced upon them. They have been stuck in the space of a good but not great team for years. They have Josh Smith, but he reportedly has asked for a trade. They have the good but wildly overpaid Joe Johnson and his increasingly anchor of a contract. They have a star in Al Horford. They have just six players under contract for next season. They have had for years roster that will get you to the playoffs and maybe the second round, but that’s it.
They need a shakeup, but what they really need is a plan. It’s not clear what that has been in Atlanta for a while.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 0
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 10
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights