Jun 25, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
The report came a little out of left field Sunday night but now it is appears to be more than just a rumor.
Danny Ferry has accepted the offer to become the new Atlanta Hawks general manager, the team announced on its Web site Monday. Ferry will replace long-time GM Rick Sund, who stays on the job this week but will either retire or take a consultant’s role with the team on July 1.
Ferry is the current Spurs assistant GM who was in the big chair with the Cleveland Cavaliers for five years during the LeBron James era. He struggled to put a title team around James in Cleveland, although you can decide how much of that blame falls to ownership and its directions and orders.
Ferry has some challenges ahead of him with a roster that has long been good but not great. First there is Josh Smith, who has reportedly has asked for a trade. Then there’s the fact they have just six players under contract for next season. On the bright side he has a legit All-Star in Al Horford. On the down side he is saddled with Joe Johnson’s anchor of a contract.
This is reportedly a six-year deal, which suggests Hawks owners are not actively shopping the team any more.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 20
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 13
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 46
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record