Jun 25, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
There are a whole lot of interesting amnesty clause questions out there this season — will the Heat use it on Mike Miller? Will the Lakers use it on Metta World Peace? How quickly will the Suns use it on Josh Childress?
Here is a quick reminder of how the Amnesty Clause works.
• Teams will have from July11 to July 17 to declare a player amnestied. After that window they have to wait a year to use it.
• Teams can only amnesty players on their roster when the lockout ended. Teams cannot amnesty players they traded for after the lockout or players they signed as a free agent since then.
• Teams can only use one per this labor agreement — if a team used it last year they do not have another. For example, the Portland Trail Blazers used theirs on Brandon Roy last year, they do not have another. The Knicks used theirs on Chauncey Billups, they used theirs up.
• Using an amnesty on the player wipes his contract official team books, he does not count against the salary cap or luxury tax. However, the player does still get paid the money from his contract.
• Teams cannot re-sign the player they just amnestied.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 14
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 6
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 11
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4