Jun 25, 2012, 10:44 AM EST
Like Chevy Chase leading the Griswolds, Mark Cuban is leading the Dallas Mavericks on a European vacation. Kind of.
The league made official long-standing rumors Monday that the Boston Celtics and Dallas Mavericks will be playing preseason games in Europe this fall.
On Oct. 5 the Boston Celtics play its first-ever game overseas against five-time Turkish Champions Fenerbahce Ulker Istanbul at a just-opened new arena in Istanbul, Turkey. On Oct. 7 the Celtics will be in Milan, Italy, to take on Italian powerhouse EA7 Emporio Armani.
Dirk Nowitzki will lead the Mavericks into his native Germany where they will take on eight-time German Champions Alba Berlin on Oct. 6 (in Berlin). The Mavericks also will be playing a game in Spain, but the details are not finalized yet, the league said.
This is part of the globalization of the game that David Stern has been promoting for years. The NBA did not get to go play preseason games overseas last year due to the shortened preseason due to the lockout.
NBA sponsor international bank BBVA is sponsoring the tour.
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 0
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5