Jun 23, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Andre Iguodala. Danny Granger. Rudy Gay. The Warriors have been chasing a small forward for weeks trying to get a hold on an All-Star upgrade at that position. You can recognize what they’re going for. Stephen Curry runs the show. The star small forward anchors the perimeter defense, Andrew Bogut handles the defensive load down low. Makes sense, and it’s a popular approach. So naturally the next name on their list is Luol Deng. From the Contra Costa Times:
Per the NBA rumor mill, the Chicago Bulls are entertaining giving up Luol Deng to get into the NBA draft lottery. According to sources, Golden State hasn’t talked with Chicago about Deng yet. But Deng is on the Warriors’ short list of veteran small forwards they’d be interested in.
Chicago would have to take some of the Warriors’ baggage in return, such as Richard Jefferson or Andris Biedrins, along with the No. 7 pick. The Bulls may get better offers. Trade talks, from the Warriors end, have been fairly slow. But things won’t pick up in earnest anyway until next week, as the June 28 draft nears.
That last part is significant. The Bulls are up against the luxury tax, which owner Jerry Reinsdorf abhors terribly. He’ll avoid it at all costs. And if the Bulls are going into the tax, they’re going into the tax for Omer Asik. Even for a lottery pick at No.7, they are unlikely to surrender an All-Star and take on Andris Biedrins contract. They’ve already got to cover up Carlos Boozer‘s weaknesses on a big contract. Jefferson’s not a bad fit but that’s still quite a drop down.
The Bulls will try and get into the luxury tax cheap, teams will try and get Deng cheap, and neither are likely to happen unless something funky goes down.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 1
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 36
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38