Jun 22, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
Brandon Roy wants to return to the NBA.
Golden State wants him.
The Warriors GM confirmed that to Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com.
Warriors general manager Bob Myers said on Friday morning that the team has interest in former Portland Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy, who has made it clear that he will try to play in 2012-13…
“I told (Roy) when he was amnesty-ed (by Portland) … ‘I hope this isn’t it for you. Make sure this isn’t it. He’s said publicly he wants to come back, so I’ll start to talk to him. It depends how everything goes for us and what his expectations are and all of that. But absolutely I’ll talk to him.”
Roy and Stephen Curry would make an interesting and potentially dangerous back court. Roy is a combo guard but a guy who is a floor general and might blend better with Curry than Monta Ellis did. Combine that backcourt with Andrew Bogut and David Lee up front and you might have something interesting.
The question with 27-year-old former All-Star isn’t can he still play, it’s how long will his knees let him play? He has almost no cartilage left in his knee and the pain from all the running in the NBA eventually slowed him down and had him thinking retirement. He’s been working on a comeback for months now and has reportedly looked good in workouts. That said, the question is now will he be doing after 40 games next season? Or 70?
If the price is right, it might be worth the risk for Golden State.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 1
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 13
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 22
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29