Jun 22, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
We know that once players reach the Finals, no one is playing at 100 percent. But while some are merely trying to get through what Shaquille O’Neal used to refer to as “knick-knack injuries,” others are dealing with things much more serious.
Oklahoma City center Kendrick Perkins played the final three playoff rounds with a partially torn groin, league sources tell Y! Sports.
A report from the Oklahoman states that the injury occurred in Game 4 against Dallas in the first round of the playoffs, and has been a problem ever since.
This revelation will only have fans questioning Thunder head coach Scott Brooks’ plans in these Finals even more. He’s been consistently killed for his rotations, and Perkins was largely ineffective the entire series.
Perkins is as tough as they come, so it’s no surprise he tried to gut it out with the injury. But knowing what we know now, the question of why in the world Brooks would rely on him for over 23 minutes per game in the Finals — including 34 minutes in Game 3 — is one that, at some point, he should probably have to answer.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (66)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million