It wasn’t just LeBron. Dwyane Wade had to grow up, too.

Jun 22, 2012, 3:11 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Miami Heat - Game Five Getty Images

MIAMI — This wasn’t Dwyane Wade’s first time posing with the Larry O’Brien trophy.

Six years ago, a young, brash, fearless and athletic player was an unstoppable force for four games, the Dallas Mavericks had no answer for his attacks to the rim, and it was he that pushed and pulled the Miami Heat to the franchise’s title.

It was a very different Wade that cradled the trophy this year. One that has a much deeper understanding of what it takes to reach this mountaintop.

“(I appreciate it) so much more,” Wade said. “You know, I’ve been through a lot. That 15-win season professionally hurt. Laughingstock of the league coming off a championship. But what I dealt with personally (a nasty divorce and custody battle with his ex-wife) was indescribable in a sense…

“I’m lucky to be put in the position I am. I’m going to enjoy this one way more than I enjoyed 2006. When you get there early, you say ‘oh man, we’re going to do this again next year.’ This is not a guarantee right here, man. You have to enjoy this. And we will do that.”

It was an honest, open, comfortable Wade who spoke still soaked in champagne. A mature Wade. He spoke about how important his family is to him now and how getting to experience this with his children makes it mean all he more. He talked about how even when this super team was put together they had lessons to learn.

“Man, this process is unbelievably hard, and I don’t care who you put on a team,” Wade said. “You know, two years ago, putting this team together, obviously, we expected it to be a little easier than it was. But we had to go through what we had to go through last year. We needed to…

“I went back last night and I watched Game 6 of the (2011) finals, and it was their time. They shots they was hitting was unbelievable. I just seen and I looked at it and said it wasn’t our time. And tonight it was our time.”

It was their time because Wade was mature enough to put his ego aside and not be a co-star — he let this be LeBron James’ team.

“This year I know I’m playing with the best player in the world, and that doesn’t take anything away from me at all,” Wade said.

The 24-year-old Wade would not have said that. Could not have done that. He had some growing up to do, but when he did he became a champion again.

Latest Posts
  1. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

2. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

3. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

4. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

5. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

6. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

7. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

8. Report: Warriors to sign Ian Clark

Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?

9. Mavericks sign Jamil Wilson, Brandon Ashley

Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Washington Wizards vs New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Dallas also reportedly talking to Salah Mejri

10. Report: Serge Ibaka not yet cleared to play after March surgery

Jul 28, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT

"Son Of The Congo" - 2015 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival Getty Images

Thunder power forward was scheduled to play in African exhibition game

11. Heat sign Josh Richardson

Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT

Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddle AP

Miami cleared roster room for second-round pick

12. Nicolas Batum responds to Toronto rumor in hysterical fashion

Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

I can tell you where Batum will land next summer — whichever team offers him the most money.

13. Report: Knicks, Lakers, Wizards still interested in Kevin Seraphin

Jul 28, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

The Lakers and Knicks don’t make a ton of sense for him.

14. Former NBA All-Star Vin Baker training to be Starbucks manager

Jul 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Vin Baker AP

He’s been sober four years, which is most important.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches