Jun 22, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
The season hasn’t even been over for 24 hours yet, but you can already get some action down on who will win the 2013 NBA title. And not surprisingly, at this ridiculously early stage, the Heat and the Thunder are equal 5-2 favorites to win the championship next season.
The Bulls are next in line at 5-1, followed by the Spurs at 7-1, Lakers at 12-1, and Mavericks at 15-1. After that, we start to get into some pretty far-fetched territory, with the Celtics and Pacers at 20-1, and the Nuggets, Clippers, Magic, and Grizzlies all at 30-1.
Even further from the title in Vegas’ eyes are the Knicks, Sixers, and Hawks at 60-1. Everyone else stands at 100-1, which likely isn’t tempting enough to put even a dollar down on teams like the Kings or the Hornets.
If you’re psychotic and like throwing money in the trash, then betting the outcome of the NBA season a year in advance without knowing what teams’ rosters will ultimately look like after trades and free agency is definitely the way to go. But if you’re determined to get something down — or even make a choice for, you know, entertainment purposes only — there are a few interesting ones to look at.
The Lakers at 12-1 isn’t bad from a value standpoint, considering they are a virtual lock to get to at least the second round of the playoffs even if they do absolutely nothing to improve the talent on their roster. The Mavericks are an even better value, but only if you believe the buzz that Deron Williams will end up there in free agency.
Beyond that, only the Clippers seem like a team on the fringe that could make that type of run. But again, with so many variables in play, not to mention the injury factor, it’s virtually impossible to make a compelling case for anyone at this point.
Except maybe the two teams we just saw play in the Finals, which is why it’s no surprise they’re the favorites to make it back next season.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10