Dwyane Wade admits he may miss Olympics to rehab knee

Jun 22, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT

Dwyane Wade Team USA Olympics Getty Images

It was evident to anyone watching that Dwyane Wade was not himself throughout the playoffs and in the finals against the Thunder. One of the most explosive finishers in the game almost missed dunks at points because he didn’t have the elevation.

He admitted to the Associated Press Friday that he may need to skip the Olympics this summer in London to rehab — or have surgery on — the left knee he had to have drained in the second round.

“I’ve got to make a decision on what my knee needs and what’s best, because my career and finishing my career strong is what’s important to me,” Wade said. “And I know, yeah, the Olympics are coming up. It’s something I really want to do. But at the same time, if I have to make a big decision, if something has to happen surgery-wise, that will have to be a step I have to take. My loyalty and my commitment to Miami Heat basketball is the No. 1 thing.”

Wade will have an MRI in the coming day and consult with doctors.

I heard buzz in Miami that Wade was getting pressure from Nike to play in the Olympics because that is such a big marketing stage for the brand. If it is a borderline call that could well play into the decision.

Because the lockout pushed the playoffs back and it is an early Olympics this year — Opening Ceremonies are July 27 and basketball starts July 29 — there is not a lot of rest for players Wade, LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden, all of whom got invites to camp that opens July 6 in Las Vegas.

1. miamatt - Jun 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

He should sit out the Olympics.

Wade’s only 30 but he’s put on a lot of miles the way he plays. Getting healthy for the start of the NBA season needs to be the no. 1 priority. Plus, Wade’s already competed internationally on a number of occasions. Let somebody else do it.

• rushbacker - Jun 23, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Absolutely. It’s cool to see the big names play for a different cause, and compete with new teammates on the international stage– but I think it’s ridiculous to question the patriotism of a guy who has already represented his country. Gimme a freakin’ break. This isn’t China, and he’s not Yao– we don’t need to grind the guy’s knees into coleslaw to prove a point. Please, somebody tell me the States can’t find enough talented guards to field a sick team without Wade.

With the amount of money the Heat pay him, he SHOULD look to preserve his body for his job at this point. He competed in the Games when he had fresh legs, and now it’s time for the young guns behind him to get their chance. Wade obviously wasn’t right in the Finals, five weeks rest is barely enough time even if he doesn’t need surgery. We’re better served sending out a guy who’s had some time off. The team has an abundance of talented young point guards to pick from. There are plenty of quality two’s, but if they really can’t fill the spot, let Deron Williams play some two-guard if he goes. He’s real fresh. Or limit Westbrook’s minutes by making him a backup two. . . and people will still complain that he shoots too much.

Besides, it’s such a great honor and experience to those who still take it seriously– nothing wrong with letting a kid like Wall or Irving go, if they aren’t already. Or a number of other young guys. You never know when a player will get hurt, and never have the opportunity again. It would be one thing if Team USA was depleted of talent, but that’s hardly the case. They can and will win gold whether Wade plays or not. And with that said, I halfway think that some of the guys that have gone before almost should step aside. You need some veteran leaders, but the team will have those– and even the Thunder’s 23-year-old’s now have a good bit of experience playing deep into the NBA playoffs on multiple occasions, against world-class competition and with the world watching.

Team USA will be fine, unless you think we need Wade to match the international floppers. Relax– I’m not sure about Chris Paul, but Harden’s going. It’s under control. So let the gimpy old guy rehab his knee, and celebrate his title out of the spotlight.

Hell, I’ll take it one further. As far as I’m concerned, the selection committee SHOULD put a premium on sending players who will represent both our sport and our country in the best possible way– let’s show the world that hoops isn’t soccer, and we’ve still got the skills to stomp anybody the word can send against us without taking a bunch of blatant dives. Make it clear before they even hit the court for tryouts. Bring in Larry Brown as a consultant just to tell them to “play the right way.” :)

• florida727 - Jun 23, 2012 at 7:58 AM

I agree. Screw Nike. Like they won’t have their brand plastered over everything over there anyway. The easy thing to do is to go over there and try to play. I’m not a Wade fan per se, but I admire him for not bowing to the pressure and taking care of himself and his commitment to Miami first.

• scalfor3 - Jun 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM

lebron will be there and he’s the face of nike. wade needs the time off pretty bad

2. rickyspanish - Jun 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM

It’ll suck for him not to play in London but Miami prints his checks.

3. sprest83 - Jun 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

What a crock of crap! A month ago he was complaining about the Olympic pay. The knee is allowing him a scapegoat. Man I can’t stand that guy.

• dr3000 - Jun 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM

step away from the keyboard and go back to doing whatever it is you do that nobody cares about.

• sprest83 - Jun 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Spoken like a true fan boy.

• miamatt - Jun 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

It looked to me like Wade’s objections to “Olympic pay” had more to do with entities like Nike using the Olympics (and by extension the athletes) to sell products without due compensation, much like the NCAA uses all big time college athletes.

• scorp16 - Jun 23, 2012 at 8:39 PM

That’s okay..He probably can’t stand you either…..Wait…He doesn’t even know who you are….muhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!

Because you don’t matter

4. hojo20 - Jun 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM

The Olympics have sucked since the Iron Curtain fell. Smart move by Wade not to waste his eneregy over there.

5. burm61 - Jun 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I will also be missing the Olympics due to lack of interest.

6. wallio - Jun 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

This was the complaining about the lack of Olympic pay, the guy who couldn’t be bothered to represent his country unless it benefited him financially, and now his knee hurts? Riiiggghhhttt……

• unbiased8383 - Jun 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM

He has a gold medal from last Olympics. Interpreted by some to be representing. He is banged up. Not sitting out for the money reason. The guy is actually hurting. Try to think a little before you post something.

7. smushrodriguez - Jun 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I have an idea, he should televise his decision in a prime time interview!

8. canehouse - Jun 23, 2012 at 8:03 AM

tough decision for him… playing for the USA is a huge honor for him… ultimately he needs to do what’s best for him.

9. tipstopten - Jun 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM

We have young men dying for this country and he doesn’t want to play BB for his country, what a CS

10. wallio - Jun 23, 2012 at 9:37 AM

wade made it very clear he’d be “honored” to play for the US, just once the check clears. No pay, no play. And people wonder why the Heat are hated. It ain’t all Lebron……

11. allthewaylive1 - Jun 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Both LeBron and Wade won Gold playing for the US Men’s Basketball team in 2008. Wade would not pass a physical for the Armed Forces, conversley, he could only aggravate an existing injury. It is irresponsible to question a Man’s/Woman’s Patriotism, especially if you have not checked your own sense of patroitism lately.

12. chazzmon - Jun 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Our Olympic team can win without him so why should he go. Get well Dwayne, you won this championship at half speed. By the way tape delayed events against inferior competition is boring.

13. cantonbound13 - Jun 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Thank God he won’t be there. He would just embarrass the US with his flopping & complaining.

14. kvh59 - Jun 24, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Wow, and the hated continues….seriously most of you sound like idiots cause it was obvious with his play during the playoffs that his knees were bothering him….do you guys even watch the games or just go on blogs to troll about shit you have no clue about…get lives people, not everything is a conspiracy

15. bobo0383 - Jun 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM

To all those morons saying he won’t play unless he’s paid; he’s been on Olympic/FIBA tournaments since 2004. He’s participated in a lot more international competition than even Jordan in his prime. He’s earned the right for his health not to play. Also never once did he say he wouldn’t play unless he was paid. Get your facts straight.

16. jimeejohnson - Jun 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I know just the guy to replace Wade with: Rajon Rondo! Rondo can fill in for Wade although he brings something different to the table. Who wouldn’t want to see an USA team that runs and looks for the fast break all the time. Ally-oops, too. Rondo’s a modern day Pistol Pete Maravich!

PS: I’m not a Celtics fan.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Meant “a USA team”, not “an”. Grammar police take it easy!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches