Jun 22, 2012, 10:13 PM EST
It was evident to anyone watching that Dwyane Wade was not himself throughout the playoffs and in the finals against the Thunder. One of the most explosive finishers in the game almost missed dunks at points because he didn’t have the elevation.
He admitted to the Associated Press Friday that he may need to skip the Olympics this summer in London to rehab — or have surgery on — the left knee he had to have drained in the second round.
“I’ve got to make a decision on what my knee needs and what’s best, because my career and finishing my career strong is what’s important to me,” Wade said. “And I know, yeah, the Olympics are coming up. It’s something I really want to do. But at the same time, if I have to make a big decision, if something has to happen surgery-wise, that will have to be a step I have to take. My loyalty and my commitment to Miami Heat basketball is the No. 1 thing.”
Wade will have an MRI in the coming day and consult with doctors.
I heard buzz in Miami that Wade was getting pressure from Nike to play in the Olympics because that is such a big marketing stage for the brand. If it is a borderline call that could well play into the decision.
Because the lockout pushed the playoffs back and it is an early Olympics this year — Opening Ceremonies are July 27 and basketball starts July 29 — there is not a lot of rest for players Wade, LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden, all of whom got invites to camp that opens July 6 in Las Vegas.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 2
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 9
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 28
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29