Jun 22, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT
It was evident to anyone watching that Dwyane Wade was not himself throughout the playoffs and in the finals against the Thunder. One of the most explosive finishers in the game almost missed dunks at points because he didn’t have the elevation.
He admitted to the Associated Press Friday that he may need to skip the Olympics this summer in London to rehab — or have surgery on — the left knee he had to have drained in the second round.
“I’ve got to make a decision on what my knee needs and what’s best, because my career and finishing my career strong is what’s important to me,” Wade said. “And I know, yeah, the Olympics are coming up. It’s something I really want to do. But at the same time, if I have to make a big decision, if something has to happen surgery-wise, that will have to be a step I have to take. My loyalty and my commitment to Miami Heat basketball is the No. 1 thing.”
Wade will have an MRI in the coming day and consult with doctors.
I heard buzz in Miami that Wade was getting pressure from Nike to play in the Olympics because that is such a big marketing stage for the brand. If it is a borderline call that could well play into the decision.
Because the lockout pushed the playoffs back and it is an early Olympics this year — Opening Ceremonies are July 27 and basketball starts July 29 — there is not a lot of rest for players Wade, LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden, all of whom got invites to camp that opens July 6 in Las Vegas.
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 0
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 7
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 9
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18