Jun 22, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT
It was evident to anyone watching that Dwyane Wade was not himself throughout the playoffs and in the finals against the Thunder. One of the most explosive finishers in the game almost missed dunks at points because he didn’t have the elevation.
He admitted to the Associated Press Friday that he may need to skip the Olympics this summer in London to rehab — or have surgery on — the left knee he had to have drained in the second round.
“I’ve got to make a decision on what my knee needs and what’s best, because my career and finishing my career strong is what’s important to me,” Wade said. “And I know, yeah, the Olympics are coming up. It’s something I really want to do. But at the same time, if I have to make a big decision, if something has to happen surgery-wise, that will have to be a step I have to take. My loyalty and my commitment to Miami Heat basketball is the No. 1 thing.”
Wade will have an MRI in the coming day and consult with doctors.
I heard buzz in Miami that Wade was getting pressure from Nike to play in the Olympics because that is such a big marketing stage for the brand. If it is a borderline call that could well play into the decision.
Because the lockout pushed the playoffs back and it is an early Olympics this year — Opening Ceremonies are July 27 and basketball starts July 29 — there is not a lot of rest for players Wade, LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden, all of whom got invites to camp that opens July 6 in Las Vegas.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50