Jun 21, 2012, 1:17 PM EST
There’s no doubt that if Andre Drummond can put it all together — he has the size, the athleticism, he can defend and rebound — he could be one of the better big men in the NBA in a few years.
You could have said the same thing about Andray Blatche.
It is that concern that has Drummond sliding down some boards.
After a lackluster year at UConn there were a lot of concerns among scouts about Drummond’s passion and motor. He’s talented, he’s got a good low post game and a real NBA center’s body, but he also coasted a lot. He’s the kind of Top 10 pick that gets GMs fired if they bust. He has dropped 22 pounds since the end of the season and says all the right things about being committed, but word from workouts is mixed. It’s summed up pretty well in what Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated tweeted:
In the continuing draft circuit, I’m told Kansas F Thomas Robinson had his way w/ UConn C Andre Drummond in a Cleveland workout today.
Robinson is a legit top 3 pick (who could slide to 4 or 5), a power forward who had the same vertical leap at the combine as Blake Griffin. And Robinson comes with his motor always on.
DraftExpress predicts Portland — with new risk-taking GM Neil Olshey in place — taking Drummond at No. 6. But he could fall farther than that. Not likely out of the top 10, but teams are weighing the risk vs. reward, looking at other players out there that have less risk but not as much upside, and thinking that could be the better choice for them.
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 0
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 32
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 8
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 18
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 6