Jun 21, 2012, 1:17 PM EDT
There’s no doubt that if Andre Drummond can put it all together — he has the size, the athleticism, he can defend and rebound — he could be one of the better big men in the NBA in a few years.
You could have said the same thing about Andray Blatche.
It is that concern that has Drummond sliding down some boards.
After a lackluster year at UConn there were a lot of concerns among scouts about Drummond’s passion and motor. He’s talented, he’s got a good low post game and a real NBA center’s body, but he also coasted a lot. He’s the kind of Top 10 pick that gets GMs fired if they bust. He has dropped 22 pounds since the end of the season and says all the right things about being committed, but word from workouts is mixed. It’s summed up pretty well in what Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated tweeted:
In the continuing draft circuit, I’m told Kansas F Thomas Robinson had his way w/ UConn C Andre Drummond in a Cleveland workout today.
Robinson is a legit top 3 pick (who could slide to 4 or 5), a power forward who had the same vertical leap at the combine as Blake Griffin. And Robinson comes with his motor always on.
DraftExpress predicts Portland — with new risk-taking GM Neil Olshey in place — taking Drummond at No. 6. But he could fall farther than that. Not likely out of the top 10, but teams are weighing the risk vs. reward, looking at other players out there that have less risk but not as much upside, and thinking that could be the better choice for them.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 61
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32