Jun 21, 2012, 8:33 AM EDT
Rob Hennigan has the job — he is the new general manager of the Orlando Magic — but as we said that instantly comes with some huge decisions.
Hennigan is going to focus on the draft and Dwight Howard first, getting to the coaching search after the draft, according to a tweet from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Brian Shaw, Mike Malone and Steve Clifford are league assistants who will be among considerations for Magic coaching job, sources tell Y!
Shaw and Malone are regulars on the coaching search carousel. Both are top assistants — Shaw formerly was Phil Jackson’s No. 2 and now works for the Pacers, Malone is currently working with Mark Jackson in Golden State.
Clifford is a top assistant currently with the Magic.
Hennigan may have other candidates in mind as well — who he picks should reflect the kind of team the Magic are going to build. Which comes back to if they keep or trade Dwight Howard. Bet on trade, he reportedly wants a new start and if he’s not going to sign an extension they need to make a move.
But not until after the draft.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 14
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32