Jun 21, 2012, 8:33 AM EDT
Rob Hennigan has the job — he is the new general manager of the Orlando Magic — but as we said that instantly comes with some huge decisions.
Hennigan is going to focus on the draft and Dwight Howard first, getting to the coaching search after the draft, according to a tweet from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Brian Shaw, Mike Malone and Steve Clifford are league assistants who will be among considerations for Magic coaching job, sources tell Y!
Shaw and Malone are regulars on the coaching search carousel. Both are top assistants — Shaw formerly was Phil Jackson’s No. 2 and now works for the Pacers, Malone is currently working with Mark Jackson in Golden State.
Clifford is a top assistant currently with the Magic.
Hennigan may have other candidates in mind as well — who he picks should reflect the kind of team the Magic are going to build. Which comes back to if they keep or trade Dwight Howard. Bet on trade, he reportedly wants a new start and if he’s not going to sign an extension they need to make a move.
But not until after the draft.
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 0
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 42
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60