Jun 21, 2012, 8:33 AM EDT
Rob Hennigan has the job — he is the new general manager of the Orlando Magic — but as we said that instantly comes with some huge decisions.
Hennigan is going to focus on the draft and Dwight Howard first, getting to the coaching search after the draft, according to a tweet from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Brian Shaw, Mike Malone and Steve Clifford are league assistants who will be among considerations for Magic coaching job, sources tell Y!
Shaw and Malone are regulars on the coaching search carousel. Both are top assistants — Shaw formerly was Phil Jackson’s No. 2 and now works for the Pacers, Malone is currently working with Mark Jackson in Golden State.
Clifford is a top assistant currently with the Magic.
Hennigan may have other candidates in mind as well — who he picks should reflect the kind of team the Magic are going to build. Which comes back to if they keep or trade Dwight Howard. Bet on trade, he reportedly wants a new start and if he’s not going to sign an extension they need to make a move.
But not until after the draft.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59