Jun 21, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Can you “own” a nickname?
That brings us to Kevin Durant, who has been called “Durantula” by fans since he was still wearing a green Sonics uniform. But now he is being sued for it, according to TMZ (hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie):
Durant was sued today in Federal Court by a guy named Mark Durante — a guitarist who, according to the lawsuit, was a big deal in the 80s … playing with Public Enemy, The Aliens, The Next Big Thing, and (our favorite) The Revolting Cocks.
TMZ obtained a copy of the lawsuit, in which Durante says he adopted the name “Durantula” for his “on-stage and performance persona” — and has used it to market “music, recordings, apparel, t-shirts, guitars, and related merchandise…
In the suit though, Durante claims Nike has used the moniker to launch a shoe campaign — and KD himself signed “Durantula” on basketballs that are for sale through his website. The guitarist says he registered the “Durantula” trademark. He’s suing for damages and an injunction stopping KD from using the name.
So it’s a guy likely kicked out of some mediocre at best ‘80s bands vs. the lawyers from Nike. Sure, that sounds like a fair fight.
And before you jump all over me for calling Public Enemy mediocre this is not THAT Public Enemy. As BDL researched, this is a 1978 rock combo band, not Flavor Flav and the groundbreaking hip hop group. I’ve seen that Public Enemy in concert. The “durantula’s” Public Enemy, not so much.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 0
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 28
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 11
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5