Jun 21, 2012, 11:39 AM EST
Can you “own” a nickname?
That brings us to Kevin Durant, who has been called “Durantula” by fans since he was still wearing a green Sonics uniform. But now he is being sued for it, according to TMZ (hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie):
Durant was sued today in Federal Court by a guy named Mark Durante — a guitarist who, according to the lawsuit, was a big deal in the 80s … playing with Public Enemy, The Aliens, The Next Big Thing, and (our favorite) The Revolting Cocks.
TMZ obtained a copy of the lawsuit, in which Durante says he adopted the name “Durantula” for his “on-stage and performance persona” — and has used it to market “music, recordings, apparel, t-shirts, guitars, and related merchandise…
In the suit though, Durante claims Nike has used the moniker to launch a shoe campaign — and KD himself signed “Durantula” on basketballs that are for sale through his website. The guitarist says he registered the “Durantula” trademark. He’s suing for damages and an injunction stopping KD from using the name.
So it’s a guy likely kicked out of some mediocre at best ‘80s bands vs. the lawyers from Nike. Sure, that sounds like a fair fight.
And before you jump all over me for calling Public Enemy mediocre this is not THAT Public Enemy. As BDL researched, this is a 1978 rock combo band, not Flavor Flav and the groundbreaking hip hop group. I’ve seen that Public Enemy in concert. The “durantula’s” Public Enemy, not so much.
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 0
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 4
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 0
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 10
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (51)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)