Jun 21, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Can you “own” a nickname?
That brings us to Kevin Durant, who has been called “Durantula” by fans since he was still wearing a green Sonics uniform. But now he is being sued for it, according to TMZ (hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie):
Durant was sued today in Federal Court by a guy named Mark Durante — a guitarist who, according to the lawsuit, was a big deal in the 80s … playing with Public Enemy, The Aliens, The Next Big Thing, and (our favorite) The Revolting Cocks.
TMZ obtained a copy of the lawsuit, in which Durante says he adopted the name “Durantula” for his “on-stage and performance persona” — and has used it to market “music, recordings, apparel, t-shirts, guitars, and related merchandise…
In the suit though, Durante claims Nike has used the moniker to launch a shoe campaign — and KD himself signed “Durantula” on basketballs that are for sale through his website. The guitarist says he registered the “Durantula” trademark. He’s suing for damages and an injunction stopping KD from using the name.
So it’s a guy likely kicked out of some mediocre at best ‘80s bands vs. the lawyers from Nike. Sure, that sounds like a fair fight.
And before you jump all over me for calling Public Enemy mediocre this is not THAT Public Enemy. As BDL researched, this is a 1978 rock combo band, not Flavor Flav and the groundbreaking hip hop group. I’ve seen that Public Enemy in concert. The “durantula’s” Public Enemy, not so much.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43