Jun 21, 2012, 6:25 PM EDT
If you could be sure about one thing with Derrick Rose’s knee surgery following his torn ACL in the first game of the playoffs it was this — he was going to attack rehab like he attacks the rim. Relentlessly.
So the news the doctor who did the surgery told ESPNChicago.com really shouldn’t come as a surprise.
“Derrick is ahead of schedule,” (Dr. Brian) Cole said in a phone conversation Wednesday night. “This was part of the plan established before surgery. (Rose’s meeting in Alabama with Dr. James Andrews) was not a consultation with another physician, but rather it’s working with another therapist in collaboration with the Bulls’ training staff.”
Rose’s meeting with Andrews sparked speculation that he may have had a setback.
“Nothing could be further from the truth,” Cole said. “He’s ahead of schedule. [The rehab] is a way to keep things fresh for Derrick, to help give him some variety.”
Recovery from a torn ACL usually takes eight months to a year, which would have Rose back with the Bulls in December at the earliest.
Rose is the kind of competitor who would push to be back for as many regular season games as he could. If anything the Bulls need to slow him down a little, make sure he is fully recovered before attempting a comeback. They can’t risk him compensating and suffering another injury because he came back too early. He’s young and the focus needs to be his long career and not a regular season game in January.
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 8
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9