Jun 20, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
Right now it seems every struggling NBA team wants to build on the “Oklahoma City” model. Because nailing three All-Stars in three consecutive drafts is cake. However, the Orlando Magic are taking this idea literally.
Orlando is about to hire OKC front office No. 2 Rob Hennigan as their new GM, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo (and multiple other reports).
He is currently the Thunder’s assistant GM for player personnel. Orlando president Alex Martins wants to mimic the Thunder organization’s excellent track record of drafting, player development and creating a winning culture.
Hennigan is very well respected around the league and this is a smart hire. He’s never been in the top job but he comes from the Spurs and Thunder and understands about building a culture of winning in the franchise. Which the Magic could use.
Welcome to your dream job Mr. Hennigan, we’d like you to handle just three little things for us.
1) Figure out what to do with Dwight Howard – either convince him to stay with us or trade him and get back equal value or at least as much as possible to jump-start our rebuilding process.
2) Find and hire a coach.
3) Have our team ready for the draft that is 8 days away.
That’s it. Good luck.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 24
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 27
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 30
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30