Jun 20, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
Right now it seems every struggling NBA team wants to build on the “Oklahoma City” model. Because nailing three All-Stars in three consecutive drafts is cake. However, the Orlando Magic are taking this idea literally.
Orlando is about to hire OKC front office No. 2 Rob Hennigan as their new GM, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo (and multiple other reports).
He is currently the Thunder’s assistant GM for player personnel. Orlando president Alex Martins wants to mimic the Thunder organization’s excellent track record of drafting, player development and creating a winning culture.
Hennigan is very well respected around the league and this is a smart hire. He’s never been in the top job but he comes from the Spurs and Thunder and understands about building a culture of winning in the franchise. Which the Magic could use.
Welcome to your dream job Mr. Hennigan, we’d like you to handle just three little things for us.
1) Figure out what to do with Dwight Howard – either convince him to stay with us or trade him and get back equal value or at least as much as possible to jump-start our rebuilding process.
2) Find and hire a coach.
3) Have our team ready for the draft that is 8 days away.
That’s it. Good luck.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 8
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 7
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 16
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15