Jun 20, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
Right now it seems every struggling NBA team wants to build on the “Oklahoma City” model. Because nailing three All-Stars in three consecutive drafts is cake. However, the Orlando Magic are taking this idea literally.
Orlando is about to hire OKC front office No. 2 Rob Hennigan as their new GM, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo (and multiple other reports).
He is currently the Thunder’s assistant GM for player personnel. Orlando president Alex Martins wants to mimic the Thunder organization’s excellent track record of drafting, player development and creating a winning culture.
Hennigan is very well respected around the league and this is a smart hire. He’s never been in the top job but he comes from the Spurs and Thunder and understands about building a culture of winning in the franchise. Which the Magic could use.
Welcome to your dream job Mr. Hennigan, we’d like you to handle just three little things for us.
1) Figure out what to do with Dwight Howard – either convince him to stay with us or trade him and get back equal value or at least as much as possible to jump-start our rebuilding process.
2) Find and hire a coach.
3) Have our team ready for the draft that is 8 days away.
That’s it. Good luck.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47