Jun 20, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
Right now it seems every struggling NBA team wants to build on the “Oklahoma City” model. Because nailing three All-Stars in three consecutive drafts is cake. However, the Orlando Magic are taking this idea literally.
Orlando is about to hire OKC front office No. 2 Rob Hennigan as their new GM, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo (and multiple other reports).
He is currently the Thunder’s assistant GM for player personnel. Orlando president Alex Martins wants to mimic the Thunder organization’s excellent track record of drafting, player development and creating a winning culture.
Hennigan is very well respected around the league and this is a smart hire. He’s never been in the top job but he comes from the Spurs and Thunder and understands about building a culture of winning in the franchise. Which the Magic could use.
Welcome to your dream job Mr. Hennigan, we’d like you to handle just three little things for us.
1) Figure out what to do with Dwight Howard – either convince him to stay with us or trade him and get back equal value or at least as much as possible to jump-start our rebuilding process.
2) Find and hire a coach.
3) Have our team ready for the draft that is 8 days away.
That’s it. Good luck.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 44
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11