Jun 20, 2012, 5:54 PM EDT
The dream of some Knicks fans to sure Steve Nash to their team is not dead.
It’s not likely. But it’s not dead either.
“The Knicks are a great franchise and I live in New York City (each summer), so I’d definitely consider them if they were interested,” the Phoenix Suns’ mainstay said at a promotional appearance in Manhattan.
Nash is Canadian, he’s too polite to just say no. The only things standing in the way of this happening are just money and fit.
Unless they get lucky on a Hail Mary arbitration ruling, the Knicks are going to have to use most or all of their $5 million mid-level exception to keep Jeremy Lin. With the team well over the cap, the best they can offer the 38-year-old point guard is the veteran minimum.
If he’s going to take nothing to chase a ring, he can do that in Miami. Or with the Lakers. Or with the Bulls (then team with Derrick Rose when he returns). Basically, he can go a lot of places closer to that ring than the Knicks. And if he wants to get paid he can stay in Phoenix, go to Indiana or a few other good choices. He has options.
And how would he fit with Carmelo Anthony, who clearly wants the offense run through him? Is Melo going to give his full effort while watching some Amare Stoudemire/Nash pick and rolls? Just a lot of questions.
But there is a chance. He’d consider it.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9