Jun 20, 2012, 5:54 PM EST
The dream of some Knicks fans to sure Steve Nash to their team is not dead.
It’s not likely. But it’s not dead either.
“The Knicks are a great franchise and I live in New York City (each summer), so I’d definitely consider them if they were interested,” the Phoenix Suns’ mainstay said at a promotional appearance in Manhattan.
Nash is Canadian, he’s too polite to just say no. The only things standing in the way of this happening are just money and fit.
Unless they get lucky on a Hail Mary arbitration ruling, the Knicks are going to have to use most or all of their $5 million mid-level exception to keep Jeremy Lin. With the team well over the cap, the best they can offer the 38-year-old point guard is the veteran minimum.
If he’s going to take nothing to chase a ring, he can do that in Miami. Or with the Lakers. Or with the Bulls (then team with Derrick Rose when he returns). Basically, he can go a lot of places closer to that ring than the Knicks. And if he wants to get paid he can stay in Phoenix, go to Indiana or a few other good choices. He has options.
And how would he fit with Carmelo Anthony, who clearly wants the offense run through him? Is Melo going to give his full effort while watching some Amare Stoudemire/Nash pick and rolls? Just a lot of questions.
But there is a chance. He’d consider it.
- Carmelo Anthony after latest home loss to Grizzlies: ‘I think it’s in our heads’ 0
- Brook Lopez suffers broken foot, out for the season 23
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 10
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 6
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 16
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)