Jun 20, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT
Austin Rivers has been moving up draft boards as he’s worked out for teams the past couple weeks, which pretty much assures his father will not coach him next season.
Rivers is an interesting prospect — he has skills, he can put the leather thing in the round thing, he has an NBA-ready crossover, he comes with some real swagger. He plays with the IQ of a coach’s son. But that swagger can lead to a shoot first and ask questions later mentality, and when Rivers gets to the NBA he is no longer going to be the best guy on his team. He’s a bit of a tweener guard. Can he adjust and fit in?
As teams work him out, his talent is winning out over those concerns. Look at what a couple of scouts told CSNPhilly.com when they asked about Rivers (who is never going to fall to the Sixers at No. 15, by the way):
“I think he’ll be an outstanding pro player. He can get his own shot any time. He strikes me as a guy who really had a dream to get to the NBA, and be a big-time talent in the NBA. We’ll have to wait and see how it translates. He’s a very talented kid.”
Scout number two has more concerns, but not many.
Kind of a combo guard. I think he’s played more 2 (i.e., shooting guard) than 1 (i.e., point guard) most of his life. I think he’s going to have to make a little bit of a transition, and be a more willing passer. I think he’s a capable passer; I just think his mindset is to always score. I think because of his size it might be a little bit tougher on our level. He would become a better scorer if he would pass a little more; he’d be more of a threat. I like him. He’s tough. He’s very confident. He’s very good with the ball.”
My only question is what is Doc going to say when his son hits the dagger to beat him one night?
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 0
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18