Jun 20, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT
Austin Rivers has been moving up draft boards as he’s worked out for teams the past couple weeks, which pretty much assures his father will not coach him next season.
Rivers is an interesting prospect — he has skills, he can put the leather thing in the round thing, he has an NBA-ready crossover, he comes with some real swagger. He plays with the IQ of a coach’s son. But that swagger can lead to a shoot first and ask questions later mentality, and when Rivers gets to the NBA he is no longer going to be the best guy on his team. He’s a bit of a tweener guard. Can he adjust and fit in?
As teams work him out, his talent is winning out over those concerns. Look at what a couple of scouts told CSNPhilly.com when they asked about Rivers (who is never going to fall to the Sixers at No. 15, by the way):
“I think he’ll be an outstanding pro player. He can get his own shot any time. He strikes me as a guy who really had a dream to get to the NBA, and be a big-time talent in the NBA. We’ll have to wait and see how it translates. He’s a very talented kid.”
Scout number two has more concerns, but not many.
Kind of a combo guard. I think he’s played more 2 (i.e., shooting guard) than 1 (i.e., point guard) most of his life. I think he’s going to have to make a little bit of a transition, and be a more willing passer. I think he’s a capable passer; I just think his mindset is to always score. I think because of his size it might be a little bit tougher on our level. He would become a better scorer if he would pass a little more; he’d be more of a threat. I like him. He’s tough. He’s very confident. He’s very good with the ball.”
My only question is what is Doc going to say when his son hits the dagger to beat him one night?
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 0
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 30
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 15
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 73