Jun 20, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Kevin Garnett doesn’t know what Kevin Garnett wants to do yet.
Celtics fans have been understandably impatient since the end of the season wondering what Kevin Garnett wants to do next. Because whether or not he is a Celtic next year plays a big role in the level of rebuilding steps we are about to see.
“Kevin and I had a good conversation last week and the conversation was mostly on how he needs time before he makes that decision,” Ainge said during an in-studio appearance Wednesday afternoon on Boston sports radio WEEI-93.7 FM. “I think we’ll talk within the next week, but I’m not so sure that’s a decision day for him. He may want to wait and see what sort of team we have. I’m not sure.
“I know that he wants to come back. I know he likes Boston, and I know he loves playing for (coach) Doc (Rivers). He loves everything about the team and the city and so forth. I think that his decision will be, ‘Do I really want to play? Or do I not want to play.'”
Put me in the camp that says KG is either a Celtic or retired next season. While technically he could go and chase another ring anywhere he wants, I don’t see him playing anywhere else.
But he clearly is still thinking this through. And Danny Ainge is in a tough position waiting for an answer, but there is nothing for him to do but wait. Well, he can occupy his mind with figuring out if he can package two first-round picks (21 and 22) into something farther up the draft board.
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 3
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 9
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15