Jun 20, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Kevin Garnett doesn’t know what Kevin Garnett wants to do yet.
Celtics fans have been understandably impatient since the end of the season wondering what Kevin Garnett wants to do next. Because whether or not he is a Celtic next year plays a big role in the level of rebuilding steps we are about to see.
“Kevin and I had a good conversation last week and the conversation was mostly on how he needs time before he makes that decision,” Ainge said during an in-studio appearance Wednesday afternoon on Boston sports radio WEEI-93.7 FM. “I think we’ll talk within the next week, but I’m not so sure that’s a decision day for him. He may want to wait and see what sort of team we have. I’m not sure.
“I know that he wants to come back. I know he likes Boston, and I know he loves playing for (coach) Doc (Rivers). He loves everything about the team and the city and so forth. I think that his decision will be, ‘Do I really want to play? Or do I not want to play.’”
Put me in the camp that says KG is either a Celtic or retired next season. While technically he could go and chase another ring anywhere he wants, I don’t see him playing anywhere else.
But he clearly is still thinking this through. And Danny Ainge is in a tough position waiting for an answer, but there is nothing for him to do but wait. Well, he can occupy his mind with figuring out if he can package two first-round picks (21 and 22) into something farther up the draft board.
- Report: Paul Pierce to sign two-year deal to join Wizards 4
- Report: Trevor Ariza to sign 4-year, $32 million deal with Rockets 35
- Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not. 50
- LeBron James’ contract two years, $42 million with Cavaliers. That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. 37
- LeBron returns to Cleveland a more efficient, mature player that can take team further 36
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 19
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 58
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 40