Jun 20, 2012, 10:05 PM EST
Kevin Garnett doesn’t know what Kevin Garnett wants to do yet.
Celtics fans have been understandably impatient since the end of the season wondering what Kevin Garnett wants to do next. Because whether or not he is a Celtic next year plays a big role in the level of rebuilding steps we are about to see.
“Kevin and I had a good conversation last week and the conversation was mostly on how he needs time before he makes that decision,” Ainge said during an in-studio appearance Wednesday afternoon on Boston sports radio WEEI-93.7 FM. “I think we’ll talk within the next week, but I’m not so sure that’s a decision day for him. He may want to wait and see what sort of team we have. I’m not sure.
“I know that he wants to come back. I know he likes Boston, and I know he loves playing for (coach) Doc (Rivers). He loves everything about the team and the city and so forth. I think that his decision will be, ‘Do I really want to play? Or do I not want to play.’”
Put me in the camp that says KG is either a Celtic or retired next season. While technically he could go and chase another ring anywhere he wants, I don’t see him playing anywhere else.
But he clearly is still thinking this through. And Danny Ainge is in a tough position waiting for an answer, but there is nothing for him to do but wait. Well, he can occupy his mind with figuring out if he can package two first-round picks (21 and 22) into something farther up the draft board.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 1
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)