Kevin Garnett tells Danny Ainge he needs time to decide

Jun 20, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT

Celtics forward Garnett sits on the court in the closing minutes of their loss to the Hawks during Game One of their NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs basketball game in Atlanta Reuters

Kevin Garnett doesn’t know what Kevin Garnett wants to do yet.

Celtics fans have been understandably impatient since the end of the season wondering what Kevin Garnett wants to do next. Because whether or not he is a Celtic next year plays a big role in the level of rebuilding steps we are about to see.

Celtics decision maker Danny Ainge told WEEI (hat tip ESPNBoston.com) that he is not impatient, KG will get all the time he needs.

“Kevin and I had a good conversation last week and the conversation was mostly on how he needs time before he makes that decision,” Ainge said during an in-studio appearance Wednesday afternoon on Boston sports radio WEEI-93.7 FM. “I think we’ll talk within the next week, but I’m not so sure that’s a decision day for him. He may want to wait and see what sort of team we have. I’m not sure.

“I know that he wants to come back. I know he likes Boston, and I know he loves playing for (coach) Doc (Rivers). He loves everything about the team and the city and so forth. I think that his decision will be, ‘Do I really want to play? Or do I not want to play.'”

Put me in the camp that says KG is either a Celtic or retired next season. While technically he could go and chase another ring anywhere he wants, I don’t see him playing anywhere else.

But he clearly is still thinking this through. And Danny Ainge is in a tough position waiting for an answer, but there is nothing for him to do but wait. Well, he can occupy his mind with figuring out if he can package two first-round picks (21 and 22) into something farther up the draft board.

1. jimbo75025 - Jun 20, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I hope he comes back. I really used to dislike the guy, but the more and more I see guys game based more on a show the more and more I started admiring KG and his simple but lethal game. One of the last old school warriors around these days

2. tomtravis76 - Jun 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Kurt Helin, proud alumnus, “The Derek Zoolander School for Kids That Can’t Read Good and Want to Learn To Do Other Things Good, Too.”

• 1historian - Jun 21, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Would you not LOVE to be in his shoes – writing about the NBA, hanging with the players, etc. – and getting PAID for it?

Be honest now

• brianjoates - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I think that went over your head, you must be very new to reading his work.

My guess its all in good fun, no harm from a little ball breaking,

• acdc363 - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Hahaha its a shame some people can’t take a joke but man that is classic.

3. pastabelly - Jun 20, 2012 at 11:42 PM

KG’s arrival in Boston helped turn the franchise around. Good to see him go out on his terms and get his ring and other playoff successes in Boston.

4. badintent - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

He got gassed in the fourth quarters vs. Heat , but Doc had no replacement for him, used have some guy named Perkins to do that, Even a Big Baby, but now no one. So Danny boy goes to Republic of Congo, signs one of Ibaka’s 17 brothers to an offer sheet. IF not for Rondo, Cs would have been blown out in most of the games. Kevin, take your act to the circus, they always need clowns. But I will give you one kudo for donating $ 1 million to Oprah for N.O. after Katrina.I’m truly sorry you had to play with L. Sprewell in Minny. The Horror……………………

5. truthhurtstoo - Jun 21, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Let the old creaker retire. It’s not like he’s getting past the HEAT (as proved by losing the last several years)

• GT - Jun 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Two years is several? LeBron lost to the C’s as much or more.

6. artbyrob - Jun 21, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Can’t beat the heat so now he can join them

7. paulhargis53 - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM

truth, That old caretaker and his team took your team to the brink. You’d think you’d be a bit more humble….
    Considering that Bass was starting because KG had to play center because Wilcox, O’Neal and Green were done for the year.They did pretty well for themselves. Not to mention that their best defensive guard in Bradley,was out for the series. And that Allen and Pierce were hobbled.
    You should be thankful Boston wasn’t healthy, but noooo, you’re some 20 something punk that runs your mouth and is a typical fan on this sight. A know nothing loudmouth.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches