Jun 20, 2012, 1:53 AM EDT
All series long Thunder coach Scott Brooks has been taking flack for his handling of the Thunder rotations — sitting Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook at the same time, leaving guys with hot hands on the bench, not seeming to have a feel for his team.
It’s not just you and me, Kendrick Perkins feels the same way, too.
“I just don’t understand why we start out the first quarter the way we did with the lineup we had, and all of a sudden we change and adjust to what they had going on,” a clearly frustrated Perkins said in the Thunder locker room after the game. “So they won the last three quarters and that’s what happened…
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
The Thunder raced out to a 13-3 lead and not long after that moment Brooks subbed out Serge Ibaka to bring in Nick Collison — which worked, Collison has six points, three rebounds (two offensive) and a block in his seven minutes to end the quarter and he was a +7.
So naturally, Brooks played him less in the second half — just over five minutes and he didn’t enter until late in the third. Derek Fisher however played more than 11 minutes in the first half, had zero points or assists or rebounds and was -8. So he played more than 10 minutes in the second half (and again went scoreless).
Perkins, like all the Thunder players, had a very dejected body language after the game but spoke the words of a team not giving up.
“This series is not over,” Perkins said. “We just have to keep taking it one game at a time. We win Thursday and we’re back in Oklahoma City.”
But can a team clearly frustrated with their coach and their play late in games really rally back like that? It’s hard to imagine.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14