Jun 20, 2012, 1:53 AM EDT
All series long Thunder coach Scott Brooks has been taking flack for his handling of the Thunder rotations — sitting Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook at the same time, leaving guys with hot hands on the bench, not seeming to have a feel for his team.
It’s not just you and me, Kendrick Perkins feels the same way, too.
“I just don’t understand why we start out the first quarter the way we did with the lineup we had, and all of a sudden we change and adjust to what they had going on,” a clearly frustrated Perkins said in the Thunder locker room after the game. “So they won the last three quarters and that’s what happened…
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
The Thunder raced out to a 13-3 lead and not long after that moment Brooks subbed out Serge Ibaka to bring in Nick Collison — which worked, Collison has six points, three rebounds (two offensive) and a block in his seven minutes to end the quarter and he was a +7.
So naturally, Brooks played him less in the second half — just over five minutes and he didn’t enter until late in the third. Derek Fisher however played more than 11 minutes in the first half, had zero points or assists or rebounds and was -8. So he played more than 10 minutes in the second half (and again went scoreless).
Perkins, like all the Thunder players, had a very dejected body language after the game but spoke the words of a team not giving up.
“This series is not over,” Perkins said. “We just have to keep taking it one game at a time. We win Thursday and we’re back in Oklahoma City.”
But can a team clearly frustrated with their coach and their play late in games really rally back like that? It’s hard to imagine.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 10
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25