Jun 19, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT
In all the stories about the Charlotte Bobcats coaching search, we at PBT dutifully listed Mike Dunlap, assistant coach at St. Johns, among the guys interviewed. Like you, we thought that a courtesy interview because he knew somebody, he was not a guy on most people’s NBA radar.
But he got the job.
And while we questioned the hire — in part because Dunlap is an unknown quantity, in part because the Bobcats named three finalists then hired outside that circle, in part because of the rumors they were trying to hire on the cheap — there has been support coming up for him from other coaches. Most notably Nuggets head man George Karl, who had Dunlap as an assistant for years. Here is what Karl tweeted (yes, Karl is on twitter):
Great hire by Bobcats! Mike Dunlap is one of the most creative defensive minds I’ve ever worked with. Welcome back to the NBA!
The other book on Dunlap is that he is good at player development, therefor is a fit for the young and rebuilding Bobcats (or at least that is the direction they should be going).
Maybe. Honestly nobody knows how he will do as a coach and while this is a gamble Dunlap gets a chance. He, like every other coach in this league, will be judged based on wins and losses (relative to expectations). Do well, help the team grow and evolve, and he stays. It’s not a complex equation.
But the way it went down was still very Bobcats. Why interview three guys as finalists — Jerry Sloan, Brian Shaw and Quin Snyder — then hire outside that circle? Who knows? Bottom line Michael Jordan and Rich Cho you have your guy, good luck with him. He’s your gamble now.
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 0
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16