Jun 19, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
That turned out to be the definition of a rental…
Lakers point guard Ramon Sessions — who the team picked up at the trade deadline, sending their first-round pick to Cleveland — has opted out of his deal and will become a free agent, reports Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.
He was to make one year at $4.5 million. He’s looking for a multi-year deal. The Lakers are looking for a point guard again.
The Lakers could re-sign him, but they are already well over the luxury tax for next year and may not try to match a healthy offer.
Sessions was supposed to be the point guard the Lakers needed and during the regular season he played well — 12.7 points per game on 47.9 percent shooting, plus 6.2 assists per game. His PER of 17.5 was both above average and way above Derek Fisher’s. Sessions brought a quickness and a guy who can attack the rim to the Lakers and they needed that with Mike Brown’s offense.
But come the playoffs, Sessions looked wide-eyed, like it was his first postseason. Which it was. His PER dropped to 8.3, he shot 37 percent and 16 percent from three.
Sessions should get a multi-year deal but don’t expect anyone to break the bank for him.
Other point guards on the free agent market include Deron Williams (Lakers can’t afford him without a sign-and trade, and there are mixed reports on whether he’d play in LA), Andre Miller, Raymond Felton and, of course, Steve Nash. But wouldn’t it be weird to see Nash in Lakers purple?
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 20
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 11
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70