Jun 19, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
Welcome to the Russell Westbrook show.
With the rest of the Thunder playing pretty pedestrian ball, Westbrook had 18 first half points on 9-of-15 shooting to lead the Thunder to an 49-46 lead at the half.
You get the feeling a real barnburner of a second half awaits.
As expected, the Thunder came out with a lot of energy and a sense of desperation. OKC opened the game on a 13-3 run, getting looks they wanted and knocking down jumpers. The Heat were shooting jumpers, too, which is never good for them.
Westbrook keyed this with 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting. The Thunder were up 33-19 after one.
But the Heat came back in the second quarter, winning it 27-16 behind some help from their role players — Mario Chalmers had 6 in the second quarter. LeBron James had 6, Dwyane Wade had 7 despite injuring his back on an awkward landing after a Serge Ibaka blocked shot. LeBron and Wade had 10 for the half. Durant has 12.
The second half is going to be another close one, like the last two games. But if it ends the same way the Thunder are in a lot of trouble.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13