Jun 19, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
When he first took the job, new Trail Blazers general manager Neil Olshey called interim Portland coach Kaleb Canales the “in-house favorite” for the job.
That was just Olshey being polite.
The reality is the search is wide open and Canales should be polishing his resume. Here is what Olshey told the Columbian.
Olshey didn’t speak specifically, but he did say Monday that the search would be “exhaustive” and that there are “guys we’re targeting.” Could Canales be one of those guys? Sure. But while much of the public may have thought this anyway, it doesn’t quite appear to be his job to lose.
Smart money suggests the usual suspects — Brian Shaw, Mike Malone, and Patrick Ewing — will get a look, as well as some veteran coaches. Mike Dunlap is off the market, but my guess is that doesn’t concern Portland too much. Expect this to be a little quieter search than the Bobcats did, as well.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 6
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 42
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?