Jun 19, 2012, 11:26 AM EST
Like it matters. Short of Anthony Davis saying in his interview he thought Hurricane Katrina was really funny, New Orleans is going to use the No. 1 overall pick to take him.
Davis is meeting with the Hornets but is not working out for them, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo.
Davis, an extraordinary 6-foot-11 prospect, is such a clear No. 1 choice in the June 28 draft, the franchise won’t go through the process of a workout with him, sources said. After flying into New Orleans on Monday, Davis was scheduled to spend the day with his only pre-draft visit to a franchise. Davis had dinner with Hornets coach Monty Williams in Chicago at the pre-draft camp, and will meet with an array of Hornets owners, executives and coaches on Tuesday at the team’s facility outside of New Orleans.
What is the upside for Davis if he works out? They can’t draft him any higher.
Davis was the anchor of the Kentucky team that just won the national title and his defense — along with growing offensive skills — make him as much of a lock as there can be in a draft. DraftExpress lists his low-end comparison, his “bust,” as Marcus Camby — who has had a quality career and provided real value to teams. The upper end is more in the Kevin Garnett range.
The more interesting choice for GM Dell Demps and the Hornets is what they do with the No. 10 pick. They will have Davis and a very good young player at the two guard in Eric Gordon, whoever is drafted at 10 has to fit with them.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 3
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 17
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17