Jun 19, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
Like it matters. Short of Anthony Davis saying in his interview he thought Hurricane Katrina was really funny, New Orleans is going to use the No. 1 overall pick to take him.
Davis is meeting with the Hornets but is not working out for them, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo.
Davis, an extraordinary 6-foot-11 prospect, is such a clear No. 1 choice in the June 28 draft, the franchise won’t go through the process of a workout with him, sources said. After flying into New Orleans on Monday, Davis was scheduled to spend the day with his only pre-draft visit to a franchise. Davis had dinner with Hornets coach Monty Williams in Chicago at the pre-draft camp, and will meet with an array of Hornets owners, executives and coaches on Tuesday at the team’s facility outside of New Orleans.
What is the upside for Davis if he works out? They can’t draft him any higher.
Davis was the anchor of the Kentucky team that just won the national title and his defense — along with growing offensive skills — make him as much of a lock as there can be in a draft. DraftExpress lists his low-end comparison, his “bust,” as Marcus Camby — who has had a quality career and provided real value to teams. The upper end is more in the Kevin Garnett range.
The more interesting choice for GM Dell Demps and the Hornets is what they do with the No. 10 pick. They will have Davis and a very good young player at the two guard in Eric Gordon, whoever is drafted at 10 has to fit with them.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games