LeBron James says his life is like an amusement park

Jun 18, 2012, 7:59 PM EDT

Miami Heat LeBron James takes a break during a stoppage in play in their game against the Oklahoma City Thunder during Game 3 of the NBA finals in Miami Reuters

What’s it been like to be LeBron James the past couple years?

The Miami Herald got LeBron to answer that in a rare moment of unscripted honesty.

“You ever been to an amusement park?” he says. “That’s what my life has been like. Twists and turns. Up and down. Uh-oh, here we go, the roller-coaster is going into the dark hole again. Where’s the light? There’s the light. Up and down. Back into the dark hole. Back in the light. That’s what my life has been like.”

But more than ever the past few months, LeBron has seemed comfortable with it.

Some have called it determination, but LeBron doesn’t play at his peak if he’s not comfortable, if the game’s not fun for him. Right now, he seems to have found that mental place. Maybe it’s because his fiance and kids have moved down, maybe he’s just used to it. Whatever it is, he’s able to play at a high level, take command of the team from a banged up Dwyane Wade. The demands on him in these finals are plenty, but he’s carrying that far more comfortably that ever before.

And with two more wins, the ride will come to a stop. For now.

1. cosanostra71 - Jun 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM

cool

2. camnellum12 - Jun 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Not a fan of either teams in the Finals, but LeBron really deserves this ring. He’s been under the media’s magnifying glass since he was 16, so that’s 11 years of a lot of pressure, maybe that’s why he went from a head full of hair to a receding hairline. LeBron is a walking Hall of Famer, and I’m sick of hearing the choke comments, LBJ needs to get the job done.

3. bhester1906 - Jun 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Why is this an article again?

4. biasedhomer - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Can’t you say this about anyone?

My life is full of ups and downs also.

5. chargerdillon - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Kurt thinks Lebrons body is a wonder land

6. labratre - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM

This is for biasedhomer. Your life is not under the microscope, with the media, and all over you at all times. Yes, we all experience ups and downs, but, not like this to this magnitude. This guy has had cameras on him since he was a kid, with all the pressure of living up to the hype and expectations. I don’t know you and you don’t know me, so, who knows what your life is like. I don’t have to worry about turning on the TV, and hearing my name getting dragged through the mud, and I am pretty sure you don’t either. I am pretty sure you don’t have to worry about your kids or family seeing or hearing negative things about you. Lebron, is a millionaire, but, the pressure and scrutiny this guy is under, in the public eye is way more than you or I can ever imagine!

• cosanostra71 - Jun 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM

and in an economy like this, I’m sure that most people would take having cameras on them for the million dollar paychecks and job security he has.

• minnesota32 - Jun 19, 2012 at 1:56 AM

If you were the best at your job in the world you would have the job security he has too.

7. xjokerz - Jun 19, 2012 at 4:21 AM

I’m not saying he’s making too much money but ehhhhh raise the taxes on these guys … Obama 12′

8. gmsingh - Jun 19, 2012 at 6:41 AM

All I know is that any amusement park that has a roller coaster that makes you want to vomit as much as LeBron’s vague remembrances of his life would make a lot of money.

9. fanz928 - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Lebron tonight is the night you can kick some ass and bring your team to a 3-1 lead

10. gorsk7984 - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

15+ million to play basketball. Sure, it’s all relative, but “darkness” and “where’s the light”? Spare me.

11. jimeejohnson - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Useful idiots prefer the owners make the big bucks and the players make peanuts. Huge profits for the rich will trickle down to the rest of us, improving the economy. Just ask “Lil” GW Bush (league). Thanks to his vodoo economics and some more useful idiots, we got Obomber! It’s going to take even more useful idiots to get Mitt the Mormon elected.

12. statefan2013 - Jun 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Then he shouldn’t have put his life in front of the world with the worst decision in sports history by doing ESPN’s “The Decision”. A player like Tim Duncan, an NBA world champ I might add, who is very respected among current and former players, keeps to him self. It wouldn’t have hurt LeBron James to have some humility. Then again, it wouldn’t hurt most pro athletes to have some humility, but what do I know? I’m just the average fan.

13. statefan2013 - Jun 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM

@xjokerz

Don’t raise taxes on these guys. They work hard for their money and have earned it. Why punish someone for working hard and making a lot of money. Makes no business sense.

14. fanz928 - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM

All I can say is he is underpaid

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches