Kevin Durant to Dwyane Wade: “You’re too small”

Jun 18, 2012, 8:02 AM EDT

Kevin Durant (R) of the Oklahoma City Th Getty Images

It is one key to winning in the NBA — exploit your mismatches.

Against Kevin Durant, pretty much the other 449 guys in the league are a mismatch. Including Dwyane Wade. At one point in the second half Wade got switched on Durant defensively. That’s a size mismatch. Durant recognized it and scored over him.

Then the cameras caught Durant talking some smack as they went down court.

“He told me I was too small,” Wade said after the game in an interview broadcast on NBA TV. “I had to run down the court and say ‘what’d you say again’ and he said ‘you’re too small.’

“He’s got seven inches on me, so, I played good defense but he’s a scorer and he made a good shot.”

Wade is too small in that matchup. But the fact is the Heat have been undersized throughout the playoffs and even regular season. They can make up for it because they have the athletes who can still block shots and make it hard to score in the paint — Wade and LeBron James are good shot blockers — and they have done that in this series.

Oklahoma City is feeling that pressure — it was 13-of-27 at the rim (48.2 percent) in Game 2, according to Hoopdata.com.

“We’re not the biggest team at all, we’re used to it,” Wade said. “We’ve been playing, at times, small basketball all season. Chris (Bosh) is the biggest guy in our rotation. It’s fine.”

So go ahead and call Wade small. He doesn’t care. He and the Heat have defended the paint well… except against Durant. But Durant can talk all he wants, two moer wins and Wade will laugh all the way to the ring ceremony next fall.

1. spellingcopfather - Jun 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Damn (Kurt) did K.D pissed you off, with that comment???

2. toegoat - Jun 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Kurt, I’m not one who complains about ur grammar or spelling or anything but cmon man, are u doing it on purpose???

3. toegoat - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Now that u have fixed ur minor errors and made my previous comment seem silly, just wanted to say that despite all the negative comments I actually like ur articles the most on PBT, Thank You

• blueintown - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Now can I complain about “ur” grammar and spelling?

• gmen4life33 - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM

no, because he isnt being paid for what he writes (unlike Kurt). This is Kurt’s job, he needs to do a simple proof read before posting. Not hard

• blueintown - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Calm down, fella. I criticize Kurt’s inability to formulate coherent sentences as much as anybody. I was just giving the chap a hard time. But as you can see below, toegoat and I have made nice like respectable, mature adults do. So stop being such a stupid poopy face.

4. mavajo - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:08 AM

But the Miami Heat are the cocky a-holes, right?

5. truthhurtstoo - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

It was Durant that played “too small” in the 4th yesterday! Go Heat, finish them off!

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Mjami was ahead 2-1 last year and behind in the last two series. Shaddap.

• eddiecrash1976 - Jun 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

And where was the Thunder last year? Oh thats “wright” watching the NBA finals. DOH!

6. blueintown - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Who the hell does this guy think he is?! Keep your mouth shut and play basketball! RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION!

7. hwatt - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Wade could come back with ‘you’re too clumsy’ as kd racks up MOER fouls…

8. clemfizz - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Watch the video here :

9. toegoat - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM

blueintown
    U can complain about whatever u would like, its America. Also I don’t get paid to write so me saying ur instead of your isn’t a big deal. Thanks for caring about my comment tho, I appreciate it.

• blueintown - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:43 AM

You’re quite welcome, my friend. God bless the U.S.A.

10. cbking05 - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I think Wade is trying to state…Size doesn’t matter … It’s the motion of the ocean not the size of the ship

11. Louis Tumblin - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM

OKC needs to get Durant in more mismatches. Lebron is the only player who can come close to guarding him and he needs help.

12. toegoat - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Blueintown
    Lol Touche

13. philyeagles5 - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM

lol KD would prolly get blown away in 20 mph winds. skinny twerp.

14. scalfor3 - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

durants right, he’s scored at will when wade gets switched on him. wade plays good d but durants length is too much for him.

15. thacloser86 - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Who ever that toegoat guy is please get a freaking life no one comes on here worrying about grammar it’s sports and reading and writing smdh

16. eddiecrash1976 - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

And Wade said to Durrant “look at the scoreboard” after the game. And then follwed up with I’m not Lebron, I have a ring! Biatch! Lol

17. toegoat - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM

thacloser86
    u cared enough to dedicate ur comment to me

18. toegoat - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

thacloser86
    u must be new here and are not privy to Kurts terrible writings lol or is it that u r not very smart and feel offended?

• southbeachtalent - Jun 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

nobody cares..

19. heatersgonnaheat - Jun 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Yea too bad he went 1 for 5 in the fourth, moron…

20. bearsrulepackdrool - Jun 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

That’s what she said.

• blueintown - Jun 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

^ We have a winner.

21. infectorman - Jun 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM

pretty funny for them catch the smack on the fly like that.
    Wade asking what he said at the other end of the court is even funnier.
    Who the F*ck cares what he said? Aren’t you in an NBA finals game?

Talk is cheap and actions rule the day. Good for Wade that they won.

Gmen4life:
    you misspelled Miami…”Mjami…
    After saying that in my head, I think you’ve stumbled onto something!
    Go Mjami! Mjami Heat!!!

Caveat: I have no dog in this fight, either one winning is fine with me..
    I almost don’t wanna hear another year of people calling Lebron a choker – the kid is obviously a tremendous player.
    Even if he does benefit from the modern day equivalent of the “Jordan” rules applied to him most of the time.

22. acdc363 - Jun 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

You sure showed him KD.

23. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM

If Wade is “too small” , Durant shouldn’t bite on Wade’s pump fake for his 5th foul.

24. biggestredmiami - Jun 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Really wouldn’t expect Durant to say this, pretty classless move by a guy who’s really well-respected around the league. Wade has one more championship and one more Finals MVP than Durant…. and he did it in 3 years. Respect your elders, Kevin.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM

It’s trash talk on the court. And he’s right, Wade can’t guard him. Lighten up, Francis.

• wellohwell28 - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Oh! And you believe KD could guard D-Wade one-on-one? The only advantage he has on Wade is his shooting and it’s primarily because of his height. How would KD look like against Wade if they have the same height? Oooooh boy! He might find his skinny body down the floor most of the time! Don’t forget that Wade is the best shot-blocking guard of all time.

25. packersbound - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Durant, you’re too weak! And you can’t play defense, too! You played like International Basketball League.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches