Jason Terry wants more than one-year deal with Mavericks

Jun 18, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT

NBA: Dallas Mavericks at Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Dallas is going to be reshaping its roster this summer. They’d like that to be ideally with Deron Williams running the point, but however it all goes down there will be changes in Big D.

Jason Terry could be one of those. He is a free agent, one Dallas would like to bring back. But he’s not coming back on the cheap.

Here is what Terry told the Dallas Morning News (via SBNation).

“It’s a tough situation,” Terry said. “I’m finally in a position where I can kind of predict my own future, so to speak. I want to stay here in Dallas. That’s always been my goal. But it needs to be long-term. If they’re not ready to step up and do that, then I’ll have to make my home elsewhere.”

There’s a theory that if Dallas can’t land D-Will they will want to keep guys on one year deals, keeping their options open for future years. Terry isn’t playing that game.

“I won’t be here,” Terry said if the Mavericks take that route. “You can count on that. If they’re doing that, you won’t see the Jet on the runway in Dallas. But my time here was good.”

This summer is going to be a hot and interesting one in Texas.

1. 20dollardinners - Jun 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I feel like JT is the Rodney Dangerfield of the 6th men… he gets no respect.

I think he could land a mid-level exception for 3 years. Hopefully on a contender. When he is on – he is a fantastic player.

• borderline1988 - Jun 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM

He’s also a horrible defender, which lowers his value somewhat.
      He’s still a great 1rst guy off the bench, but think about this: Who would you rather have on your team, Shane Battier or Jason Terry?

Fundamental basketball and defense trumps streaky dynamic scoring.
      Either way, he’ll get a good deal, but in today’s NBA, you need your stars to be gritty defenders as well if you are serious about winning a championship.

• bougin89 - Jun 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I agree borderline. Jason Terry is a one trick pony so to speak and although he has value off the bench, he is older and I’m not sure I’d want my team locked into him for 3+years for decent money. I’d rather try to find a younger/cheaper scoring threat.

2. thundavemere - Jun 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

As a Mavs fan I invite the Jet to hit the run way regardless of whatever contract he’s offered. He was too busy talking about his contract during that he neglected to help his team he was financially obligated to. He has the ability to score and inspire emotion in his teammates and his fans. He completely left us high and dry. I’m not going to trust him anymore in a big game situation. When a 35 year old players biggest concern is how many more millions he can make I insist for him to pack his bags and see who wants to over pay him.

3. bleed4philly - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Come to Philly! We’ll overpay you!

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches