Jun 18, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
Well… I mean… you know… the one thing you can say is… huh.
Yeah, that about sums it up.
The Charlotte Observer first reported and a half-dozen news outlets are confirming that the Charlotte Bobcats have hired a coach. It’s not Brian Shaw. It’s not Jerry Sloan. It’s not Quin Snyder.
It’s Mike Dunlap, former Nuggets assistant coach and current assistant coach at St. John’s.
Yeah, don’t bother go looking for his Wikipedia page. He doesn’t have one. Which doesn’t say anything about his coaching credentials, other than, you know, no one knows who he is. Dunlap has coached in the NBL, at Arizona, Oregon, and St. John’s under Steve Lavin. His last NBA gig was in 2008 with the Nuggets.
This is yet another “Wait, what?” move from Michael Jordan and the Bobcats, and you have to wonder how much salary was a part of this decision. It’s a homerun swing for a diamond in the rough. No, wait, sorry, we’re mixing metaphors. Sorry, pretty confused as to what exactly is going on in Charlotte. So now a coach with no experience as an NBA head coach and limited assistant coaching experience takes over the worst team in the league, without the No.1 pick, trying to scrape together something resembling a legitimate franchise.
Maybe he’ll stun us all and be a terrific coach out of nowhere. Just because we don’t know anything about him doesn’t make him bad. He’s got a ton of X’s and O’s coaching chops. It’s just…
It’s weird. It’s unforeseen. It’s the Bobcats.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43