Jun 17, 2012, 9:25 AM EDT
Lou Williams was rattled about as a Sixth Man of the Year Runner-Up candidate this year (since James Harden wrapped it up by the end of January). He didn’t shoot well from the floor, but his True Shooting percentage (52.5%) was just OK enough to cover for it. He was the Sixers’ best scoring option for much of the year. He had a disappointing playoffs, but with his length, contributed some to one of the best defenses in the league (his defensive rating was actually one of the worst on the Sixers).
There was some talk that he might not opt out of his last season and play it out with the Sixers, but as is most often the case, Williams is not taking that route. The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Williams’ agent Leon Rose confirmed Williams has opted out.
So thi sis going to be a bit of a trick for the Sixers.
Williams, barring a major uptick in efficiency and production, isn’t going to be worth the contract he’s going to pull in. Volume scorers are too often criticized by the NBA internet, but they’re also too often given large contracts that they are nowhere near worth by the league. The Sixers are in a bind because they need scoring. Without it, they’re going to absolutely suffocate. Williams scores, 20.5 points per 36 minutes. Without him, they’re without a gun. But they can’t give him what he’ll be worth, especially if they get in a bidding war and need the extra year available to re-sign him with.
For Williams, he’ll have offers. He’s young and can score. Those guys get quality money in this league. He’s coachable and can hit some big shots.
It’s payday for Lou Williams.
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 24
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 29
- George Hill injury jeopardizes Pacers’ identity 1
- Memphis Grizzlies have new anthem: “We Don’t Bluff” 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay