Jun 16, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
Well, it won’t be the Knicks or Magic, but the old weirdo’s got another ride left in him.
From the AP:
Phil Jackson says “there might be” an NBA job that would lure him out of retirement.
The 11-time NBA champion coach tells HBOs “Real Sports” that the Knicks and Magic openings this offseason were not the positions to bring him back to the bench. In an interview scheduled to air Tuesday night, Jackson confirms that New York, where he started his playing career, didnt contact him before removing the interim tag from Mike Woodsons title, but “I wasnt going to take the job, thats for sure.”
Jackson goes on to say how the Knicks roster doesn’t go together, and how Carmelo Anthony doesn’t pass. In other news, the sky is blue and gravity works.
But here’s where it gets kind of interesting.
Jackson said that the reason he didn’t take the Magic job is that it was too far from his home in Montana. Reports indicated that one of the issues between the Magic and Jackson was that they wanted him in the office and he wanted to telecommute. 21st Century and all. But if Jackson’s looking for somewhere closer to home, you have to look at the options. The Blazers just hired their new GM. Not so much a team in Seattle, anymore. You know, the Clippers… nevermind.
The truth is that trying to suss out what Jackson’s really going to do is impossible, as it has been. The man does what he wants, because he’s earned the right to in this business, and lives a different life, always has. He could wind up anywhere, really. But this is a not-so-subtle announcement. He’s available. You just have to have the right situation.
And the right price.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 62
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13