Karl Malone and the Grand Slam of Sheep

Jun 16, 2012, 1:00 PM EST

Disneyland 50th Anniversary Celebration Getty Images

There’s a book on the Dream Team coming out on July 10th by Jack McCallum, who writes for Sports Illustrated and who wrote “:07 Seconds or Less” and it’s incredible like you’d imagine. I got a sneak copy of it that I’ll share thoughts on about later. But as prep for the book’s publication, McCallum is doing a series of blog posts, yes blog posts, on the interviews with some of the all-time greats. I just had to share this with you because, honestly, well… From McCallum’s post on interviewing Karl Malone.

“What am I proudest of?” Malone ponders the question. “Probably getting the grand slam of sheep. In the hunting world, those four sheep would be the Super Bowl, the NBA championship, the World Series and the Stanley Cup all in one.”

(For the record, and I had to look this up, the Grand Slam is the Dall, the Stone, the Desert Bighorn and the Rocky Mountain Bighorn. As they stared down at me, they all looked the same, though I wouldn’t say that to their faces.)

“I don’t think there’s three thousand hunters got all four of them,” Malone says proudly. “And that’s going back to President Roosevelt. Teddy Roosevelt.”

via Jack McCallum |  BEHIND THE INTERVIEWS: THE MAILMAN.

Second all-time in points, the second-best power forward of all time if you don’t count Tim Duncan as a center, a legend, a member of the best pick and roll combo in the sport’s history, and an Olympic Gold Medalist.

Sheep.

The NBA is really, really, really weird and that’s why it’s amazing.

1. rocketsredbear - Jun 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Not everything in life revolves around basketball!

2. 700levelvet - Jun 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM

How perfect….Karl Malone and Disney……..The exploitation of children has never had a better pairing…..Seems Mr.Power Forward has a son in the NFL, recently signed by the Eagles, but Mr. Grand Slam says nothing about knocking up a 13 year old girl when he was 20, whom he has never spoken to, isn’t that your greatest achievement Mr. Pedofile?

• tubal22 - Jun 16, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Give it a rest.

3. crankitupalevel - Jun 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Too bad we can’t just see the obviously socially flawed Karl Malone as just a basketball player. Damn, he was awesome to watch and undoubtedly a bitch to play against. Still, we can’t ignore his transgressions. Accountability is what it is, and he needs to be reviled for his inability to rise the level of responsibility we expect of our citizens. We should call it the Pete Rose syndrome.

4. crankitupalevel - Jun 16, 2012 at 3:12 PM

By the way, everybody remember 20? Pretty stupid age, no? While not apologizing for his actions, I haven’t heard the details. Statutory rape? Consent? Tough issues. I remember a 13 year old I hung out with. She was beautiful, 38-22-36 and smart. And, passionate. Still, I was only 15, not 20. I’ve often wondered what I would have done if I had run into her when I was over 18.

5. daveloewe - Jun 16, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Dall and Stone sheep are a different species than RM Bighorn and Desert Bighorn. And a Dall, at least, should look recognizably different as they are white and the others fawn/tan (with the Stone being lightest).

6. jacksprat57 - Jun 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM

You really can’t put people’s lives out of context, guy. If Karl was 20 when he did her, then it was about 1983. NO ONE, back then, would have considered that to be child abuse, statutory rape laws or no. Attitudes about such things changed. HERE, not in very many other places. Now, would most of us have considered him an immature little boy? Sure. Many fathers would’ve been tempted to break out the shotgun, too. Others might’ve thought of him as a creep. But NO ONE would’ve confused him with a guy who diddles a 10-year old; at least, not unless we knew the girl to be slow or backward or obviously emotionally vulnerable.

There’s good reason why the several famous musicians who were known to have done something similar were never prosecuted. It was only treated as a crime if someone was sufficiently outraged by the SPECIFIC elements of the encounter.

7. badintent - Jun 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Sheep. Sheep. Lambs, Lambs, Goats, Goats. Who can it be ? It’s Karl and his little friend. I’ve have more respect if he hunted with a crossbow like Jerry Kramer did with Bears. That’s a real man’s deal , miss and you end up dead. Rambo doesn’t count. Fake HGH clown.

8. wj4122 - Jun 17, 2012 at 2:38 AM

He is the mailman because he delivers…on the court or in the mountains lol he reinvented the power forward position and is a legend not just for his performance on the court but his and Stocktons work effort off the court!!

9. mqcarpenter - Jun 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

How can he not say that? The media has ridden greats like Malone for years for not winning a ring. Idiots who never set foot on the court act like he is a failure without it. Sheep is an awesome answer to basically say f* you I have a life.

10. abasketballthing - Jun 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Malone could actually be considered on Duncan’s level. He produced at very high level for much longer than Duncan did, even though Duncan in his prime was better than Malone in his. And of course, Duncan won 4 championships, but Malone’s ’97 and ’98 Jazz teams would’ve beaten anyone other than Jordan’s Bulls(and that includes Chauncey’s Pistons, Kidd’s Nets, LeBron’s Cavs and the ’99 Knicks)

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches