Jun 16, 2012, 8:14 PM EDT
Nothing in the draft is ever a lock, but some guys are pretty close to it. Anthony Davis is one of those guys, he’s a franchise cornerstone and New Orleans gets him.
Charlotte is next on the clock and… you can have that pick if you want it.
There is all sorts of buzz the Bobcats are trying to find value for the No. 2 pick. Problem is the next two guys on the board — Thomas Robinson or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, take your pick — are expected to be good but not one of the league’s 10 or so franchise cornerstone players. Think more Andre Iguodala/Al Horford.
So the rumors are flying that pick can be yours. Alex Kennedy at Hoopsworld sums the buzz up well.
In recent weeks, Charlotte has been in contact with a number of teams and they’ve made it clear that the No. 2 pick is available. However, multiple league sources have said that the Bobcats are looking for a lot in return. They would like to add a face of the franchise player, which is why they’ve reportedly expressed interest in young stars like Rudy Gay and James Harden. If the Bobcats can’t use the pick to make a splashy move, they’ll likely draft Thomas Robinson.
I don’t see moves like that happening, I can’t see any team giving up something of value for something that maybe in a few years could be as valuable. General managers get canned when they trade established for unproven. And by the way, the Thunder have some salary cap issues coming up they are not letting Harden go now and breaking up that core. No way.
Here’s my question — why not make Robinson the face of the franchise? In a couple of years he could well be at about the level of impact of a Rudy Gay, he’s just not established. Why give fans a good young player they can grow with and attach themselves to, then add to that in future years?
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 0
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 26
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 22
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26