Jun 16, 2012, 8:14 PM EDT
Nothing in the draft is ever a lock, but some guys are pretty close to it. Anthony Davis is one of those guys, he’s a franchise cornerstone and New Orleans gets him.
Charlotte is next on the clock and… you can have that pick if you want it.
There is all sorts of buzz the Bobcats are trying to find value for the No. 2 pick. Problem is the next two guys on the board — Thomas Robinson or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, take your pick — are expected to be good but not one of the league’s 10 or so franchise cornerstone players. Think more Andre Iguodala/Al Horford.
So the rumors are flying that pick can be yours. Alex Kennedy at Hoopsworld sums the buzz up well.
In recent weeks, Charlotte has been in contact with a number of teams and they’ve made it clear that the No. 2 pick is available. However, multiple league sources have said that the Bobcats are looking for a lot in return. They would like to add a face of the franchise player, which is why they’ve reportedly expressed interest in young stars like Rudy Gay and James Harden. If the Bobcats can’t use the pick to make a splashy move, they’ll likely draft Thomas Robinson.
I don’t see moves like that happening, I can’t see any team giving up something of value for something that maybe in a few years could be as valuable. General managers get canned when they trade established for unproven. And by the way, the Thunder have some salary cap issues coming up they are not letting Harden go now and breaking up that core. No way.
Here’s my question — why not make Robinson the face of the franchise? In a couple of years he could well be at about the level of impact of a Rudy Gay, he’s just not established. Why give fans a good young player they can grow with and attach themselves to, then add to that in future years?
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 3
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 9
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4