Jun 15, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Mehmet Okur, the oft-injured veteran big man who was traded from the Nets to the Trail Blazers last deadline but was waived by Portland before he ever set foot on the court, may be leaving the NBA.
Okur, a free agent, may return to play in his native Turkey, tweets David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz.
Reports out of the Turkish media that Mehmet Okur might return to Turkey and sign with Fenerbahce Ulker
Okur, the former All-Star big man with the Jazz, has played just 30 games total over the past two seasons due to a bad back. At age 33 any NBA offers he gets will be for the league minimum, but for the Istanbul-based Fenerbahce Ulker he would still be a huge draw (and the fewer games per week with less travel might suit his body better). Nothing definitive, but something to watch.
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 0
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 3
- Pacers’ troubles continue as Hawks convincingly win Game 1 31
- Warriors take Game 1 from Clippers 26
- Nets defense smothers Raptors, gets Brooklyn Game 1 win on road 36