Jun 15, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Mehmet Okur, the oft-injured veteran big man who was traded from the Nets to the Trail Blazers last deadline but was waived by Portland before he ever set foot on the court, may be leaving the NBA.
Okur, a free agent, may return to play in his native Turkey, tweets David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz.
Reports out of the Turkish media that Mehmet Okur might return to Turkey and sign with Fenerbahce Ulker
Okur, the former All-Star big man with the Jazz, has played just 30 games total over the past two seasons due to a bad back. At age 33 any NBA offers he gets will be for the league minimum, but for the Istanbul-based Fenerbahce Ulker he would still be a huge draw (and the fewer games per week with less travel might suit his body better). Nothing definitive, but something to watch.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 15
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 19
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP