Jun 15, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
With Jerry Sloan pulling himself out of the running for the Bobcats head coaching job — for whatever reason — it left just Brian Shaw and Quin Snyder walking around the one chair and waiting for the music to stop.
But Shaw could be eyeing a chair across the room — the Magic are reportedly interested in him as a coach, once they figure out who their general manager is. Which brings us to this interesting note from the very well connected Kevin Ding at the Orange County Register.
Former Lakers assistant Brian Shaw, who spent the past year as an associate head coach for the Indiana Pacers, is believed to prefer the Orlando Magic head job to the Bobcats’ one.
You know which job Brian Shaw is going to take? The first one offered. He wants a head coaching job and he’s not turning down a Charlotte offer for what Orlando might do. If Neil Olshey and Portland come out of left field and move first with a decent offer he will go there. If the Bobcats want him, move before Orlando.
If Shaw went to Orlando, the Bobcats may end up with Snyder. Shaw is the former Phil Jackson assistant now with the Pacers, Snyder is a Lakers assistant.
Orlando is a franchise with a history of some success, plus you will either have Dwight Howard or some pieces that come back in a Howard trade to build around. The Bobcats have the No. 2 pick and Kemba Walker. I get why Shaw might prefer Orlando. But for your first head coaching job you take one before they all dry up.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 2
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24