Jun 15, 2012, 12:06 PM EST
Through two games, this is shaping up to be an epic NBA finals.
And people are tuning in — for the second straight contest Game 2 drew the largest Game 2 audience since 2004. That is to say, the biggest ratings since the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.
Game 2 drew an overnight rating of 11.8 according to ESPN, which is up 12 percent compared to last year’s Game 2 (Miami vs. Dallas). Through two games the finals overnight ratings average this season is an 11.8, up 11 percent from last year.
Which just goes to show the NBA is a star-driven league — Miami is a midsized market and OKC is small (45th biggest television market in the nation), but the stars are big and drawing in viewers.
Game 2 drew a massive 44.4 rating in Oklahoma City, the biggest rating ever for an NBA game in that city. Miami drew an impressive 30.3.
The way both of these games have had dramatic finishes, Game 3 Sunday night in Miami could see even bigger numbers. If, really when, this series gets to Game 6 and 7 it could be the biggest ratings since the Jordan era.
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 5
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 5
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 14
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 35
- The Extra Pass: Chicago’s never-ending story, plus Thursday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)