Jun 15, 2012, 12:06 PM EDT
Through two games, this is shaping up to be an epic NBA finals.
And people are tuning in — for the second straight contest Game 2 drew the largest Game 2 audience since 2004. That is to say, the biggest ratings since the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.
Game 2 drew an overnight rating of 11.8 according to ESPN, which is up 12 percent compared to last year’s Game 2 (Miami vs. Dallas). Through two games the finals overnight ratings average this season is an 11.8, up 11 percent from last year.
Which just goes to show the NBA is a star-driven league — Miami is a midsized market and OKC is small (45th biggest television market in the nation), but the stars are big and drawing in viewers.
Game 2 drew a massive 44.4 rating in Oklahoma City, the biggest rating ever for an NBA game in that city. Miami drew an impressive 30.3.
The way both of these games have had dramatic finishes, Game 3 Sunday night in Miami could see even bigger numbers. If, really when, this series gets to Game 6 and 7 it could be the biggest ratings since the Jordan era.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6