Jun 15, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT
Not many people can know what feels like to be LeBron James — the most talented and most despised player of a generation. An amazing talent people are convinced will never come through on the biggest stage.
Alex Rodriguez has walked a mile in those shoes.
The Yankee — who now has his ring with New York from 2009 — said he is pulling for the Heat in the NBA finals because he feels for LeBron. Rodriguez was on ESPN Radio in New York, as transcribed by the Miami Herald.
Sometimes I feel so bad for him,” Rodriguez said. “I feel like I feel his pain more than anybody….
“LeBron is definitely under the microscope,” Rodriguez said. “He is going to be judged on whether he wins a championship. So, yeah, I’m really hoping he gets this one behind him, and I’m cheering for the Heat, but ’09 was a career changer for me.”
I’m not sure one ring will be enough for some of LeBron’s critics. I’m not sure there will ever be enough for some.
But until he wins one the public perception of LeBron will not change. This season may be his best chance yet, but with the Heat roster as it is now he will have to not only lead but also be exceptional for it to happen.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8