Jun 15, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT
Not many people can know what feels like to be LeBron James — the most talented and most despised player of a generation. An amazing talent people are convinced will never come through on the biggest stage.
Alex Rodriguez has walked a mile in those shoes.
The Yankee — who now has his ring with New York from 2009 — said he is pulling for the Heat in the NBA finals because he feels for LeBron. Rodriguez was on ESPN Radio in New York, as transcribed by the Miami Herald.
Sometimes I feel so bad for him,” Rodriguez said. “I feel like I feel his pain more than anybody….
“LeBron is definitely under the microscope,” Rodriguez said. “He is going to be judged on whether he wins a championship. So, yeah, I’m really hoping he gets this one behind him, and I’m cheering for the Heat, but ’09 was a career changer for me.”
I’m not sure one ring will be enough for some of LeBron’s critics. I’m not sure there will ever be enough for some.
But until he wins one the public perception of LeBron will not change. This season may be his best chance yet, but with the Heat roster as it is now he will have to not only lead but also be exceptional for it to happen.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 19
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 4
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 38
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22