Jun 14, 2012, 3:01 AM EDT
Tom Benson, you are in the club.
Not that there was much doubt the owner of the New Orleans Saints would get the okay to also become the owner of the New Orleans Hornets. In large part because he will keep the team in the Big Easy. In large part because the league really, really wanted to get out of the business of owning the team itself.
Wednesday the NBA Board of Governors — made of up the 29 NBA owners — approved the sale. Tom Benson is in. The formal sale is expected to close later this week.
Benson’s new franchise will be one to watch with soon-to-be No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis and shooting guard Eric Gordon (who says he will test the free agent market but the Hornets will match virtually any offer). The Hornets have the foundation to evolve into a pretty good team in a few years.
How Benson runs the team will be interesting, he’s already looking for ways to merge some Saints and Hornets operations.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 7
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2