Jun 14, 2012, 3:01 AM EDT
Tom Benson, you are in the club.
Not that there was much doubt the owner of the New Orleans Saints would get the okay to also become the owner of the New Orleans Hornets. In large part because he will keep the team in the Big Easy. In large part because the league really, really wanted to get out of the business of owning the team itself.
Wednesday the NBA Board of Governors — made of up the 29 NBA owners — approved the sale. Tom Benson is in. The formal sale is expected to close later this week.
Benson’s new franchise will be one to watch with soon-to-be No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis and shooting guard Eric Gordon (who says he will test the free agent market but the Hornets will match virtually any offer). The Hornets have the foundation to evolve into a pretty good team in a few years.
How Benson runs the team will be interesting, he’s already looking for ways to merge some Saints and Hornets operations.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49