Owners formally approve sale of Hornets to Tom Benson

Jun 14, 2012, 3:01 AM EDT

David Stern, Tom Benson AP

Tom Benson, you are in the club.

Not that there was much doubt the owner of the New Orleans Saints would get the okay to also become the owner of the New Orleans Hornets. In large part because he will keep the team in the Big Easy. In large part because the league really, really wanted to get out of the business of owning the team itself.

Wednesday the NBA Board of Governors — made of up the 29 NBA owners — approved the sale. Tom Benson is in. The formal sale is expected to close later this week.

Benson’s new  franchise will be one to watch with soon-to-be No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis and shooting guard Eric Gordon (who says he will test the free agent market but the Hornets will match virtually any offer). The Hornets have the foundation to evolve into a pretty good team in a few years.

How Benson runs the team will be interesting, he’s already looking for ways to merge some Saints and Hornets operations.

1. xjokerz - Jun 14, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Let’s see the nba wanted to keep the team in new Orleans … Not to many rich white guy there to buy a team … Oh look its Tom benson. Big shocker

• cakemixa - Jun 14, 2012 at 6:55 AM

I don’t even get what you’re trying to say.

• tampajoey - Jun 14, 2012 at 7:36 AM

xjokerz thinks the NBA should have given the Hornets to a poor black guy from New Orleans.

• florida727 - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM

“xjokerz”, congratulations. Not only do you achieve the honor of first to post to this article, but you also receive the honor for most ignorant poster. Quite the double-double. Your parents have to be proud.

According to Forbes, Tom Benson’s net worth is $1.1 billion as of March 2012. And it’s all self-made (from car dealerships). Hope he does as much for the Hornets as he has for the Saints and the city of New Orleans. Not too bad for a guy with only a high school education.

• kingbuccaneer - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM

You must be the same idiot “xjokerz” from the old ESPN boards…. Some things don’t change…

2. mungman69 - Jun 14, 2012 at 7:48 AM

I have no comment. Ya all lost me.

3. sweetnlow44 - Jun 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I’m sure guaranteeing Benson the number 1 pick in the draft had nothing to do with this sale, right Stern?

• 20dollardinners - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM

What are you talking about, wife beater?

(reference to Stern’s comments to Rome)

4. xjokerz - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Am I wrong ?…. U act like what I said was a joke … The league wanted the team in new Orleans who else was going to buy the team .. Give me a break

• kingbuccaneer - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM

You are a moron.

Do you honestly think he is the only person in N.O. to have money like that?

Now run along to your Drive-Thru window, my fries are getting cold.

5. 11jlacy - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Lets go get some wins fa the city ya dig I luv it.

6. xjokerz - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM

King buc … I would be the same jokerz from the espn board. I find it funny u know who I am and me have no clue who you are. Tad bit creepy

7. labratre - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM

No xjokerz, you are a clown for your comment! Hey, why don’t you remove the x, o, and z from your name, move the k to the end and that word that is left over is what that dumb comment of yours makes you. I am from NOLA, born and raised, there is plenty of people who could have purchased the team down there.

8. xjokerz - Jun 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Please list new Orleans billionaires ….

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches