Jun 14, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
From Weber State and the Big Sky Conference to starting NBA point guard in a year?
That’s the leap Damian Lillard says he wants to make. Says he is ready to make.
“I think I can be a really good player,” Lillard said. “I think I can start in the league. All I can do is keep working….
“I try not to say I’m going to do this or do that,” Lillard said. “I just want to keep working, get better and see where it takes me. I definitely believe I can be a starting point guard.”
Lillard is the best point guard in the draft, a guy more in the score-first mode (a mentality more like Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook) but who should fit well in the NBA. He has crazy shooting range and is a great penetrator, when he learns how to be a real floor general he could be a quality starting PG in the league.
Reports are he was very impressive in the interviews at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, which is only going to help his cause.
The Kings are not going to take Lillard at No. 5 — that’s too high and they already have Tyreke Evans. DraftExpress has him going No. 10 to New Orleans, where he could be an interesting fit with Anthony Davis and Eric Gordon. But the Raptors at No. 8 or the Trail Blaers at No. 11.
And some fans will scream “Weber State?” But this kid seems ready.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 7
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2