Jun 14, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
From Weber State and the Big Sky Conference to starting NBA point guard in a year?
That’s the leap Damian Lillard says he wants to make. Says he is ready to make.
“I think I can be a really good player,” Lillard said. “I think I can start in the league. All I can do is keep working….
“I try not to say I’m going to do this or do that,” Lillard said. “I just want to keep working, get better and see where it takes me. I definitely believe I can be a starting point guard.”
Lillard is the best point guard in the draft, a guy more in the score-first mode (a mentality more like Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook) but who should fit well in the NBA. He has crazy shooting range and is a great penetrator, when he learns how to be a real floor general he could be a quality starting PG in the league.
Reports are he was very impressive in the interviews at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, which is only going to help his cause.
The Kings are not going to take Lillard at No. 5 — that’s too high and they already have Tyreke Evans. DraftExpress has him going No. 10 to New Orleans, where he could be an interesting fit with Anthony Davis and Eric Gordon. But the Raptors at No. 8 or the Trail Blaers at No. 11.
And some fans will scream “Weber State?” But this kid seems ready.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 6
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 11
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7