Jun 14, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
From Weber State and the Big Sky Conference to starting NBA point guard in a year?
That’s the leap Damian Lillard says he wants to make. Says he is ready to make.
“I think I can be a really good player,” Lillard said. “I think I can start in the league. All I can do is keep working….
“I try not to say I’m going to do this or do that,” Lillard said. “I just want to keep working, get better and see where it takes me. I definitely believe I can be a starting point guard.”
Lillard is the best point guard in the draft, a guy more in the score-first mode (a mentality more like Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook) but who should fit well in the NBA. He has crazy shooting range and is a great penetrator, when he learns how to be a real floor general he could be a quality starting PG in the league.
Reports are he was very impressive in the interviews at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, which is only going to help his cause.
The Kings are not going to take Lillard at No. 5 — that’s too high and they already have Tyreke Evans. DraftExpress has him going No. 10 to New Orleans, where he could be an interesting fit with Anthony Davis and Eric Gordon. But the Raptors at No. 8 or the Trail Blaers at No. 11.
And some fans will scream “Weber State?” But this kid seems ready.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 17
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona