Jun 14, 2012, 9:52 AM EST
LeBron James was good in Game 1, but for the Heat right now that is not good enough. He has to be exceptional. At both ends of the floor.
And he could use some help.
Dwyane Wade was 7-of-19 shooting on offense and had Russell Westbrook blowing by him like he was an orange traffic cone on defense in Game 1. That can’t happen. The Heat need more out of their second best player. LeBron needs more out of him and said so, reports Marc Berman at the New York Post.
“Sometimes I go to him and tell him I need one of those games from him. I need one of those performances from him because he still has it. He knows he still has it too. But every player needs a little kick every now and then, no matter how time-tested they are. He needs to be DWade and not worry about deferring as much.’’
Wade pretty much owned up to that.
“I mean, I want to score more points,’’ Wade said. “I want to give my team more to give us an opportunity to win the series. I’ll be more aggressive.’
My question isn’t does he want to, my question is if he is physically capable? He physically does not look right, his knee is clearly slowing him, although the Heat aren’t talking about it. When asked how Wade was doing on Wednesday, coach Erik Spoelstra said “fine” and wouldn’t elaborate.
At this point, the injury doesn’t matter on the court. Wade simply has to step up at both ends or the Heat will be down 0-2.
The key here for Wade and the Heat is to be aggressive the entire game. It can’t be Shane Battier and Mario Chalmers looking good for a half then dropping off the face of the earth. There can’t be a quarter off. LeBron has to play through being tired and not start settling for jumpers.
The Heat have the talent to do all that. Will they execute it is another question.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11