Jun 14, 2012, 9:52 AM EST
LeBron James was good in Game 1, but for the Heat right now that is not good enough. He has to be exceptional. At both ends of the floor.
And he could use some help.
Dwyane Wade was 7-of-19 shooting on offense and had Russell Westbrook blowing by him like he was an orange traffic cone on defense in Game 1. That can’t happen. The Heat need more out of their second best player. LeBron needs more out of him and said so, reports Marc Berman at the New York Post.
“Sometimes I go to him and tell him I need one of those games from him. I need one of those performances from him because he still has it. He knows he still has it too. But every player needs a little kick every now and then, no matter how time-tested they are. He needs to be DWade and not worry about deferring as much.’’
Wade pretty much owned up to that.
“I mean, I want to score more points,’’ Wade said. “I want to give my team more to give us an opportunity to win the series. I’ll be more aggressive.’
My question isn’t does he want to, my question is if he is physically capable? He physically does not look right, his knee is clearly slowing him, although the Heat aren’t talking about it. When asked how Wade was doing on Wednesday, coach Erik Spoelstra said “fine” and wouldn’t elaborate.
At this point, the injury doesn’t matter on the court. Wade simply has to step up at both ends or the Heat will be down 0-2.
The key here for Wade and the Heat is to be aggressive the entire game. It can’t be Shane Battier and Mario Chalmers looking good for a half then dropping off the face of the earth. There can’t be a quarter off. LeBron has to play through being tired and not start settling for jumpers.
The Heat have the talent to do all that. Will they execute it is another question.
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 8
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 12
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 3
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 4
- The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference 19
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 10