Jun 14, 2012, 9:52 AM EDT
LeBron James was good in Game 1, but for the Heat right now that is not good enough. He has to be exceptional. At both ends of the floor.
And he could use some help.
Dwyane Wade was 7-of-19 shooting on offense and had Russell Westbrook blowing by him like he was an orange traffic cone on defense in Game 1. That can’t happen. The Heat need more out of their second best player. LeBron needs more out of him and said so, reports Marc Berman at the New York Post.
“Sometimes I go to him and tell him I need one of those games from him. I need one of those performances from him because he still has it. He knows he still has it too. But every player needs a little kick every now and then, no matter how time-tested they are. He needs to be DWade and not worry about deferring as much.’’
Wade pretty much owned up to that.
“I mean, I want to score more points,’’ Wade said. “I want to give my team more to give us an opportunity to win the series. I’ll be more aggressive.’
My question isn’t does he want to, my question is if he is physically capable? He physically does not look right, his knee is clearly slowing him, although the Heat aren’t talking about it. When asked how Wade was doing on Wednesday, coach Erik Spoelstra said “fine” and wouldn’t elaborate.
At this point, the injury doesn’t matter on the court. Wade simply has to step up at both ends or the Heat will be down 0-2.
The key here for Wade and the Heat is to be aggressive the entire game. It can’t be Shane Battier and Mario Chalmers looking good for a half then dropping off the face of the earth. There can’t be a quarter off. LeBron has to play through being tired and not start settling for jumpers.
The Heat have the talent to do all that. Will they execute it is another question.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 6
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 11
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7