Jerry Sloan pulls out of Charlotte Bobcats coaching search

Jun 14, 2012, 7:48 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Jerry Sloan, the long-time Jazz head man who was one of the three finalists for the Charlotte Bobcats coaching gig, has pulled himself out of the running, he told Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.

“I took myself out today,” Sloan said by phone. “I don’t want to comment on it because it’s never profitable for anybody. It just makes it sound like you’re making a statement about someone. But they were wonderful and there were no problems. I just took myself out.”

Sloan had gone through the second round of the interview process, having met with owner Michael Jordan, before making this move.

That leaves two guys in the running: former Lakers assistant and current Pacers assistant Brian Shaw, and current Lakers assistant Quin Snyder. Shaw is the frontrunner but he also has drawn interest from Portland and might well from Orlando as well if they ever hire a general manager.

Sloan said he has not had conversations with Orlando or Portland, the other two current coaching vacancies.

“If somebody calls me, I guess I’d listen to what they have to say. But I don’t have an agent, and if somebody calls I’d be willing to listen to them.”

1. gmsalpha - Jun 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Of course he doesn’t have an agent. He’s old-school.

And what is this “internet” thing the kids keep talking about?

2. cosanostra71 - Jun 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM

as I’ve mentioned before I hope Quin Snyder gets it because he went to my high school. It would also mean he’s no longer on the Lakers coaching staff.

3. mungman69 - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM

As I mentioned before, does anyone really want this job?

4. ss3walkman - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I think he pulled himself out because he may have felt disrespected in a sense of being a finalist along with two would-be first time coaches. He’s a legend, an all time great. To be in a pull of rookie candidates and not be the clear cut choice may have upset him.

• derekjetersmansion - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Or he just looked at their roster…

5. raidmagic - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

This is interesting. I wonder if he got a call from another team that is looking for a coach telling him to remain available.

6. badintent - Jun 15, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Maybe Jerry couldn’t get MJ to sign on hiring Karl Malone as assistant coach to teach the forwards how to play basketball. Bad Blood with those 2 guys.Karl dissing MJ , picking Scottie over MJ for the Dream Team. ha ha! OR maybe Jerry want Isiah for a ball boy ! more bad blood.

7. 11jlacy - Jun 15, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Man nobody want that gig thats bad mj got to get it together over there.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches