Jun 14, 2012, 7:48 PM EDT
Jerry Sloan, the long-time Jazz head man who was one of the three finalists for the Charlotte Bobcats coaching gig, has pulled himself out of the running, he told Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
“I took myself out today,” Sloan said by phone. “I don’t want to comment on it because it’s never profitable for anybody. It just makes it sound like you’re making a statement about someone. But they were wonderful and there were no problems. I just took myself out.”
Sloan had gone through the second round of the interview process, having met with owner Michael Jordan, before making this move.
That leaves two guys in the running: former Lakers assistant and current Pacers assistant Brian Shaw, and current Lakers assistant Quin Snyder. Shaw is the frontrunner but he also has drawn interest from Portland and might well from Orlando as well if they ever hire a general manager.
Sloan said he has not had conversations with Orlando or Portland, the other two current coaching vacancies.
“If somebody calls me, I guess I’d listen to what they have to say. But I don’t have an agent, and if somebody calls I’d be willing to listen to them.”
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record