Jun 14, 2012, 6:05 PM EST
UPDATE 6:05 pm: The Magic and Jameer Nelson have agreed — and the league has approved — to extend his time to make an opt-in decision to June 29. So no decision in the next 24 hours.
This should give the Magic time to get a new general manager in place who can talk with Nelson. Not sure it changes anything, really, but it kicks the decision down the road a couple weeks.
2:18 pm: Some time in the next 24 hours, Jameer Nelson will make it official and not pick up his option to return to the Orlando Magic next year (it’s a June 15 deadline). He will turn down $8 million next season to become a free agent.
That doesn’t mean he will not be back in central Florida. But he was very clear about he wants if he is to come back, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
“Who doesn’t want a long-term deal?” Nelson said. “Everybody wants that security…
“I love the Magic organization,” Nelson said, “… but at the end of the day, I have to do what’s best for me and my family.”
Don’t we all?
Nelson might well get a long-term from the Magic, but if not other teams that will be lined up for a quality point guard who knows how to run a team.
This will be one of the many decisions that face the new general manager, once they get around to hiring him. What to do with Nelson, plus the little matters of Dwight Howard wanting a trade and needing to find a coach. There is no honeymoon period with that job.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)