Jun 14, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:05 pm: The Magic and Jameer Nelson have agreed — and the league has approved — to extend his time to make an opt-in decision to June 29. So no decision in the next 24 hours.
This should give the Magic time to get a new general manager in place who can talk with Nelson. Not sure it changes anything, really, but it kicks the decision down the road a couple weeks.
2:18 pm: Some time in the next 24 hours, Jameer Nelson will make it official and not pick up his option to return to the Orlando Magic next year (it’s a June 15 deadline). He will turn down $8 million next season to become a free agent.
That doesn’t mean he will not be back in central Florida. But he was very clear about he wants if he is to come back, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
“Who doesn’t want a long-term deal?” Nelson said. “Everybody wants that security…
“I love the Magic organization,” Nelson said, “… but at the end of the day, I have to do what’s best for me and my family.”
Don’t we all?
Nelson might well get a long-term from the Magic, but if not other teams that will be lined up for a quality point guard who knows how to run a team.
This will be one of the many decisions that face the new general manager, once they get around to hiring him. What to do with Nelson, plus the little matters of Dwight Howard wanting a trade and needing to find a coach. There is no honeymoon period with that job.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47