Jun 14, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:05 pm: The Magic and Jameer Nelson have agreed — and the league has approved — to extend his time to make an opt-in decision to June 29. So no decision in the next 24 hours.
This should give the Magic time to get a new general manager in place who can talk with Nelson. Not sure it changes anything, really, but it kicks the decision down the road a couple weeks.
2:18 pm: Some time in the next 24 hours, Jameer Nelson will make it official and not pick up his option to return to the Orlando Magic next year (it’s a June 15 deadline). He will turn down $8 million next season to become a free agent.
That doesn’t mean he will not be back in central Florida. But he was very clear about he wants if he is to come back, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
“Who doesn’t want a long-term deal?” Nelson said. “Everybody wants that security…
“I love the Magic organization,” Nelson said, “… but at the end of the day, I have to do what’s best for me and my family.”
Don’t we all?
Nelson might well get a long-term from the Magic, but if not other teams that will be lined up for a quality point guard who knows how to run a team.
This will be one of the many decisions that face the new general manager, once they get around to hiring him. What to do with Nelson, plus the little matters of Dwight Howard wanting a trade and needing to find a coach. There is no honeymoon period with that job.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4