Jun 14, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:05 pm: The Magic and Jameer Nelson have agreed — and the league has approved — to extend his time to make an opt-in decision to June 29. So no decision in the next 24 hours.
This should give the Magic time to get a new general manager in place who can talk with Nelson. Not sure it changes anything, really, but it kicks the decision down the road a couple weeks.
2:18 pm: Some time in the next 24 hours, Jameer Nelson will make it official and not pick up his option to return to the Orlando Magic next year (it’s a June 15 deadline). He will turn down $8 million next season to become a free agent.
That doesn’t mean he will not be back in central Florida. But he was very clear about he wants if he is to come back, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
“Who doesn’t want a long-term deal?” Nelson said. “Everybody wants that security…
“I love the Magic organization,” Nelson said, “… but at the end of the day, I have to do what’s best for me and my family.”
Don’t we all?
Nelson might well get a long-term from the Magic, but if not other teams that will be lined up for a quality point guard who knows how to run a team.
This will be one of the many decisions that face the new general manager, once they get around to hiring him. What to do with Nelson, plus the little matters of Dwight Howard wanting a trade and needing to find a coach. There is no honeymoon period with that job.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6