Jun 13, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
A lot of teams are going to reach out to free agent Kevin Garnett, to see if he wants to wear a third uniform in his career. I don’t see that happening. As Romeo Void taught us long ago “never say never,” but it’s hard to picture KG doing anything but returning to the Celtics or hanging up his shoes and calling it a career.
So if he’s going to be convinced to come back to Boston, what is it going to take? I don’t mean money, that can be figured out. But KG isn’t coming back unless this team is a contender. Does that mean he wants to see it shaken up, or kept intact?
Apparently, he wants the guys he has gone to battle with before. From the Boston Herald.
“Kevin’s very loyal, and he hates change,” one source said. “But I think it’d be hard for him to come back if it’s a total rebuild. If he’s going to play, he has to be playing for something. I think he’ll wait to see what’s going to happen. If Danny (Ainge, Celtics GM) can give him a solid answer right away, then maybe he gives them an answer, too. But KG’s going to want to know who he’ll be playing with.”
The conundrum for Ainge and the Celtics is this — there is a big rebuild around Rondo coming in their near future. They can bring back KG with Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo and some nice role players for another year or two, but is that enough? They couldn’t get by the banged-up Heat this year and Miami will be back. Chicago will get Derrick Rose back and be a force. Indiana is getting better. You get the idea.
I get the feeling there will be no quick resolution here. Garnett needs a couple weeks to get out of the season mode and think this through. Boston needs to see what kind of team they are putting together. Then the two sides can see if there is a fit.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 3
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 22
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 78
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19