Jun 13, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
A lot of teams are going to reach out to free agent Kevin Garnett, to see if he wants to wear a third uniform in his career. I don’t see that happening. As Romeo Void taught us long ago “never say never,” but it’s hard to picture KG doing anything but returning to the Celtics or hanging up his shoes and calling it a career.
So if he’s going to be convinced to come back to Boston, what is it going to take? I don’t mean money, that can be figured out. But KG isn’t coming back unless this team is a contender. Does that mean he wants to see it shaken up, or kept intact?
Apparently, he wants the guys he has gone to battle with before. From the Boston Herald.
“Kevin’s very loyal, and he hates change,” one source said. “But I think it’d be hard for him to come back if it’s a total rebuild. If he’s going to play, he has to be playing for something. I think he’ll wait to see what’s going to happen. If Danny (Ainge, Celtics GM) can give him a solid answer right away, then maybe he gives them an answer, too. But KG’s going to want to know who he’ll be playing with.”
The conundrum for Ainge and the Celtics is this — there is a big rebuild around Rondo coming in their near future. They can bring back KG with Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo and some nice role players for another year or two, but is that enough? They couldn’t get by the banged-up Heat this year and Miami will be back. Chicago will get Derrick Rose back and be a force. Indiana is getting better. You get the idea.
I get the feeling there will be no quick resolution here. Garnett needs a couple weeks to get out of the season mode and think this through. Boston needs to see what kind of team they are putting together. Then the two sides can see if there is a fit.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 12
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28