Jun 13, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
I keep waiting for it. You keep waiting for it. Pretty much the entire city of Sacramento keeps waiting for it.
While the owners the Maloof brothers keep saying they do not plan to move the Kings out of Sacramento, nobody believes them. They need a new arena but the family has killed not only the plans they shook hands on to get one in Sacramento, they also killed any good will that might get them an arena in the future. They are acting like owners looking to move the team.
But David Stern said there is no support for that right now among the other owners.
“If there was a vote now, there would be no support for a move,” Stern said as part of his annual pre-finals meeting with the media. “And I believe the ownership says they’re planning to stay there. On other situations, I might hazard a guess or a prognostication. On this one, I’m out of the business. For now.”
Nothing has changed in Sacramento — the best hope for that team staying in the city is a new ownership group. If they try to move the team (to Anaheim, to Seattle, to wherever) it would involve a new investor if not outright majority owner.
This drama is far from over. Consider this a sabbatical. Everyone is out of the business. For now.
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 20
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 25
- Kevin Durant: Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan are greatest of all time 61
- LeBron James becomes Obamacare pitchman 38
- Report: Houston Rockets to pursue Carmelo Anthony this summer 31