Jun 13, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
It could happen, but it just doesn’t feel to me like Ray Allen will return to the Celtics.
Things are changing there. Avery Bradley stole his starting job and he is not giving it up. The Celtics (even if they bring back Kevin Garnett) are going to start to transition to the future. Would Allen come off the bench? Bottom line is a lot of other teams will court Allen with offers of more run and more money and he may listen.
Which teams? Glad you asked. From a report at ESPNNewYork.com.
If the Celtics don’t pan out for Allen, Sports Illustrated’s NBA writer Chris Mannix was told that the Knicks and Heat are at the top of his list. But a source very familiar with Allen’s situation told ESPNNewYork.com that the Heat, as well as potentially the Clippers, will be more attractive to the five-time All-Star in the offseason because they’re top teams that can offer more than the veteran’s minimum of $1.4 million. That will likely be the Knicks’ spending limit for free agents.
The Knicks need shooters who can space the floor, so you can see why even an older Allen is attractive. You may have noticed Tuesday night, the Heat could use some consistent outside shooting. The Clippers have more money and both started and gave big minutes to Randy Foye at the two, that is an up and coming team with a hole at the two.
Ray Allen has options. The Celtics may be at the top of his wish list. But he has options.
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 0
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 18
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42