Jun 13, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
Note to NBA team owners: Don’t make Karl Malone your general manager.
Malone was on the Dan Patrick Show Wednesday, talking about the Dream Team (be sure to watch the new documentary on NBA TV tonight, it rocks) and as part of the conversation he talked about Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.
And Malone has it backwards (hat tip to CSNChicago.com).
“I would have to start my team with Scottie Pippen,” he said. “This is why I would take Scottie: Do you remember the time that Michael retired? I watched Scottie Pippen when the Chicago Bulls weren’t really good and Scottie led that team in every statistical category, and I just remembered that. Plus, he’s a guy who could care less about scoring. He wants to stop the best player on the other team. That would have been pretty cool, to see Scottie guarding Michael.”
Those Bulls teams that weren’t very good added Jordan back and they won titles again. Just sayin’.
I get that some people vastly underestimate how great a player Scottie Pippen was. He is a deserving Hall of Famer, one of the 50 greatest players of all time. A legend. If you think even Jordan could have did what he did on his own, well, why not look at how LeBron James and Kobe Bryant have done the last few years.
But Pippen is not Jordan. That’s not a discussion we are going to entertain.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 4
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40