Jun 13, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
Note to NBA team owners: Don’t make Karl Malone your general manager.
Malone was on the Dan Patrick Show Wednesday, talking about the Dream Team (be sure to watch the new documentary on NBA TV tonight, it rocks) and as part of the conversation he talked about Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.
And Malone has it backwards (hat tip to CSNChicago.com).
“I would have to start my team with Scottie Pippen,” he said. “This is why I would take Scottie: Do you remember the time that Michael retired? I watched Scottie Pippen when the Chicago Bulls weren’t really good and Scottie led that team in every statistical category, and I just remembered that. Plus, he’s a guy who could care less about scoring. He wants to stop the best player on the other team. That would have been pretty cool, to see Scottie guarding Michael.”
Those Bulls teams that weren’t very good added Jordan back and they won titles again. Just sayin’.
I get that some people vastly underestimate how great a player Scottie Pippen was. He is a deserving Hall of Famer, one of the 50 greatest players of all time. A legend. If you think even Jordan could have did what he did on his own, well, why not look at how LeBron James and Kobe Bryant have done the last few years.
But Pippen is not Jordan. That’s not a discussion we are going to entertain.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay