Jun 13, 2012, 2:17 PM EST
Doug Collins is getting a lot of credit for taking a rag-tag bunch of young and mismatched Sixers and turning them into a pretty good team. A team with Andre Iguodala, Jrue Holiday and a team on the rise.
He may be trying to parlay that success into more power in the organization under the new ownership.
We told you yesterday that the Sixers had started early looking for Rod Thorn’s replacement as GM and that former Cavaliers GM Danny Ferry was in the mix. Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports says this is all part of a Collins power play.
Philadelphia 76ers coach Doug Collins is making a push for increased organizational power and has been a driving force behind the movement to replace team president Rod Thorn, league sources told Yahoo! Sports…
Collins wants increased power, sources said, and ultimately wants a new GM to answer to him. Ferry, who was the Cleveland Cavaliers’ GM from 2005-2010, is reluctant to accept the job without an ability to report direct to ownership, sources said. So far, Ferry has been on a fact-finding mission to understand the dynamics around how the organization will restructure the front office.
There have been plenty of rumors around the league that Thorn and Collins have a prickly relationship, and former GM Ed Stefanski had been a buffer, according to Woj. But he is out so someone needs to step in.
Ferry is right to take his time — he is back as a key guy behind R.C. Buford in San Antonio, he likes it there. He’s been a GM before and he knows he’s not going to take another job if he doesn’t want to be part of the working environment.
And it’s fair to ask what kind of working environment the Sixers front office would be right now.
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 0
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 5
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 4
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)