Wade says LeBron having to cover Durant good for Miami

Jun 12, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Miami Heat Getty Images

It’s one of the best parts of these NBA finals — Kevin Durant and LeBron James are going to be matched up on each other. The two best players in the game today going head-to-head.

It’s not going to happen all the time (expect cross matching, the Heat will want LeBron on Durant at key moments, but the Thunder will hide Durant more on defense).

But having it happen at all is good for Miami because it will fire up LeBron, at least that’s what Dwyane Wade thinks will happen. Via Ethan Skolnick of the Palm Beach Post.

“I’m glad he has that challenge because it’s going to make him focus more,” Wade said. “It’s going to make him play a little different. I’d rather for him to be guarding Kevin Durant than to have to guard DeShawn Stevenson like last year, where he wasn’t as involved. And also Shawn Marion, he wasn’t as involved. Kevin Durant, you’ve got have your antennas up at all times. I think it’s going to bring out the best in both of them.”

Good theory, but bringing out the best of LeBron has not really been the Heat’s problem this playoff. Bringing out the best of Wade in the first half has been an issue. Bringing out the best of Mike Miller/Udonis Haslem/Shane Battier at any points has been the problem.

They can’t all cover Durant, can they?

1. canehouse - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I can’t wait to watch this series… LFG!!!!

2. isujames - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM

WTF does that mean???

3. paulhargis53 - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM

It means the Heat are going to be swept.

Actually…. Let’s F-ing go, I imagine.

4. trueballs - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I’ve been a pretty big LBJ fan for about five years now and KD has been his hardest one-on-one opponent with Melo a close second. Melo has a slightly more versatile offensive set, but he’s not consistent. Like Nowitzki, Durant’s shot cannot really be contested.

random: I know Anthony Davis is a Center, but I think in a couple years he will be Durants toughest and most effective defender. They basically have the same body.

5. canehouse - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM

paul… u got the second part right! i doubt you really think or feel okc will sweep Miami.

LET’S FU#@ING GO!!!

6. rodge1 - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM

And the bandwagon-haters have officially arrived with their ignorant predictions. The same haters who predicted the Heat would never make the finals. Same haters who thought the Finals would be Clippers vs. Bulls. Same haters who predicted Boston to beat the Heat. Same haters who actually thought D-Wade & LeBron couldn’t play well together. Same haters who trashed Bosh even though he’d start for 95% of all NBA teams. Same haters who hate their lives and hide behind keyboards while insulting athletes. Yes, those haters have arrived. Welcome

• aboogy123456 - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM

worst comment of the day

• trueballs - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM

is it possible to disagree with you and not be a hater?

Also. Bosh would start on 100% of teams.

• bucsnsincity - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Way to ramble completely off topic…

• hmax13 - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Why do you have to be such a hater?

7. rodge1 - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM

@aboogy123456
    Truth hurts doesn’t it? Best part is that OKC fans are good fans. It’s the fans of crappy teams like yours that troll Heat-related articles looking for the hate-bandwagon for an easy ride. Well sir, I’m especially glad you’re here.

• aboogy123456 - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM

No it’s heat fans like you that are just getting to be too annoying by calling everybody a hater. There are some heat fans on here like the 1972 guy or guys that post more often that seem to actually know what they are talking about. You on the other hand just go with the haters will hate comment and show that you probably don’t know anything about basketball.

• aboogy123456 - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM

and I’m reading your comments and i’m actually confused what you are talking about. So I gave you a thumbs down for bad communication skills, not the douchebaggery

8. rodge1 - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM

@trueballs
    What exactly do you disagree with? I haven’t made any predictions.

• trueballs - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM

it just seems that everyone who has a different opinion than you is automatically a “hater.” How does picking the Clips/Bulls to make the finals have anything to do with hating the Heat? Thinking Wade & LBJ couldn’t coexist is a hateful thought?

But I do agree that there is certainly an anti-Heat bandwagon.

9. rodge1 - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

@trueballs
    A ‘hater’ is not someone who disagrees with me. A ‘hater’ is someone who makes moronic predictions based on hate and not based on intelligence.

• bougin89 - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM

rodge1…i think you need to take a chill pill. Just because someone says the Heat are going to be swept doesn’t necessarily mean they are making the comment based on hate. Reality is your “hating” as much as anyone on these blogs, your just “hating” in a different way. Also, before you start “hating” on me, i’m not defending the comment that the heat will be swept, I actually think this is going to be a very, very competitive series.

10. veinsofgod - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Can we please grow up and stop playing the “hater” card all the time. It’s getting pretty silly. Just because someone prefers chocolate ice cream over vanilla doesn’t make them a hater. If someone predicts that Lebron is going to lose, it doesn’t make them a hater. If it did, then you would by definition also be a hater…just of someone else other than Lebron because you have also made predictions. So, just stop it. Please.

• zeedoubleyou - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM

That’s the whole point. I think we see just as much “LeBron will lose” if not more than “the Heat will lose” around here.

It just gets old.

11. rodge1 - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I only hate on haters…

12. rodge1 - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Read all of my my posts on all sports, then you’ll see what I know or don’t know.

13. franchiseplaya - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM

mmmmm Haterade

14. paulhargis53 - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I don’t hate anybody or any team.
    Nosh, Wade and LeBron are equal to Durant, Harden and Westbrook.

OKC has a far superior supporting cast than Miami does.
    A sweep may have been pushing the envelope, but this takes OKC no longer than 5 games.
    It’s not “hate”, its an informed opinion on the talent level of each team.
    So sick of ones opinion not agreeing with another’s being termed hate.

15. canehouse - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM

5 Hours til the ball goes up… LFG!!!

16. rodge1 - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

@paulhargis53

Fair enough… As a Heat/NBA fan I have no clue who will win. I knew Dallas would win last year simply from the way they dominated Miami both games in the regular season. This year things seem a bit closer to me and the match-ups can arguably go either way on any night. Miami will have their hands full with OKC’s explosive offense, and OKC will have their hands full with Miami’s opportunistic defense. Turnovers and rebounding will be the keys as always.

17. crab2323 - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Who ever wins the rebound game will win! Lets Go Heat!

18. Shawn - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Thunder are going to win cause they are so much deeper than the Heat. Check out my blog please

19. jh4prez - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Its a great theory and when hes on the other teams best guy it usually does amp him up.go heat!

20. rodge1 - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM

@bougin89

Agreed, I was hating on an innocent basketball fan. See, thats called integrity. But as a Heat fan I’m going to crack-back when there are ignorant comments about my team. These comments have been rampant for 2 years on EVERY Heat post since LeBron came to Miami, which is no coincidence. So if the haters can hate on my Heat, then I can hate on the haters… Is that fair enough for you? (By the way, I’ll take a chill-pill or 2 of you have any extra)

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches