Jun 12, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
Rod Thorn is the guy making the calls in the 76ers basketball side of the operations. Including who gets to replace him.
Thorn, 70, is entering the final year of his contract — after which he will be a part-time consultant with the team — and is part of a committee that has already started interviews to find someone to take over the roll after the season.
Potential candidates, according to league sources, include San Antonio vice president of operations Danny Ferry; Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey; Jeff Bower, who was a general manager for the New Orleans Hornets; Oklahoma City assistant GM Troy Weaver; Atlanta GM Rick Sund, whose contract expires at the end of June; and Milwaukee GM John Hammond, who has a year remaining on his deal. Hammond, who was denied permission to talk to Portland last month, was an assistant coach for Doug Collins with Detroit…
A team source said that the process of replacing Thorn could take up to a year, which is why the search has started now. If “Mr. Right” were to come along in the near future, the Sixers would make the hire and Thorn would assume his part-time role immediately.
Thorn has made some good and bad moves over the past few years, leaving the Sixers in an interesting position. This is a good young team with Jrue Holiday, Thaddeus Young and Andre Iguodala, and one that after next season will be rid of the anchor that is Elton Brand’s contract. The new GM is going to have some room to make moves and reshape the team. Whoever he ends up being.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 9
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18