Jun 12, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
Rod Thorn is the guy making the calls in the 76ers basketball side of the operations. Including who gets to replace him.
Thorn, 70, is entering the final year of his contract — after which he will be a part-time consultant with the team — and is part of a committee that has already started interviews to find someone to take over the roll after the season.
Potential candidates, according to league sources, include San Antonio vice president of operations Danny Ferry; Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey; Jeff Bower, who was a general manager for the New Orleans Hornets; Oklahoma City assistant GM Troy Weaver; Atlanta GM Rick Sund, whose contract expires at the end of June; and Milwaukee GM John Hammond, who has a year remaining on his deal. Hammond, who was denied permission to talk to Portland last month, was an assistant coach for Doug Collins with Detroit…
A team source said that the process of replacing Thorn could take up to a year, which is why the search has started now. If “Mr. Right” were to come along in the near future, the Sixers would make the hire and Thorn would assume his part-time role immediately.
Thorn has made some good and bad moves over the past few years, leaving the Sixers in an interesting position. This is a good young team with Jrue Holiday, Thaddeus Young and Andre Iguodala, and one that after next season will be rid of the anchor that is Elton Brand’s contract. The new GM is going to have some room to make moves and reshape the team. Whoever he ends up being.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 7
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 5
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 32
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (57)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)