Jun 12, 2012, 12:59 AM EDT
And then there were three.
Charlotte cast a wide net looking for their next coach but that list is now apparently down to three, according to Rick Bonnell at the Charlotte Observer (ESPN broke the story).
The Charlotte Bobcats have narrowed their coaching search to three candidates: Former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, Indiana Pacers assistant Brian Shaw and Los Angeles Lakers assistant Quin Snyder, an NBA source confirmed Monday night.
Each of those men will come in for a second interview with owner Michael Jordan.
Not that Jordan and Jerry Sloan need much of an introduction — Sloan was the long-time coach of the Utah Jazz that took the John Stockton/Karl Malone teams to the finals only to run into Jordan’s Bulls. Sloan is an old-school, hard-a** coach who will instill discipline in the team. But at age 70 is he the right guy for a rebuilding project?
Brian Shaw is one of the top assistants in the game, having been the right hand man of Phil Jackson and this past season Frank Vogel in Indiana. Shaw is also a former player who can pull out one of his three rings from the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and impress the young players. With Shaw coming out of the Jackson coaching tree and Jordan having won under Jackson, you might see them try to become a triangle team if Shaw is hired.
Snyder is the lead assistant coach to Mike Brown with the Los Angeles Lakers right now and is considered his offense guy. He’s the unexpected guy at the dance.
If I were a better man, I would be betting on Shaw. Which is reportedly who people in Orlando like as well, but they need to move quickly. Shaw is in demand.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30