Jun 12, 2012, 12:59 AM EDT
And then there were three.
Charlotte cast a wide net looking for their next coach but that list is now apparently down to three, according to Rick Bonnell at the Charlotte Observer (ESPN broke the story).
The Charlotte Bobcats have narrowed their coaching search to three candidates: Former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, Indiana Pacers assistant Brian Shaw and Los Angeles Lakers assistant Quin Snyder, an NBA source confirmed Monday night.
Each of those men will come in for a second interview with owner Michael Jordan.
Not that Jordan and Jerry Sloan need much of an introduction — Sloan was the long-time coach of the Utah Jazz that took the John Stockton/Karl Malone teams to the finals only to run into Jordan’s Bulls. Sloan is an old-school, hard-a** coach who will instill discipline in the team. But at age 70 is he the right guy for a rebuilding project?
Brian Shaw is one of the top assistants in the game, having been the right hand man of Phil Jackson and this past season Frank Vogel in Indiana. Shaw is also a former player who can pull out one of his three rings from the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and impress the young players. With Shaw coming out of the Jackson coaching tree and Jordan having won under Jackson, you might see them try to become a triangle team if Shaw is hired.
Snyder is the lead assistant coach to Mike Brown with the Los Angeles Lakers right now and is considered his offense guy. He’s the unexpected guy at the dance.
If I were a better man, I would be betting on Shaw. Which is reportedly who people in Orlando like as well, but they need to move quickly. Shaw is in demand.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 12
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 19
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona