Jun 12, 2012, 12:59 AM EDT
And then there were three.
Charlotte cast a wide net looking for their next coach but that list is now apparently down to three, according to Rick Bonnell at the Charlotte Observer (ESPN broke the story).
The Charlotte Bobcats have narrowed their coaching search to three candidates: Former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, Indiana Pacers assistant Brian Shaw and Los Angeles Lakers assistant Quin Snyder, an NBA source confirmed Monday night.
Each of those men will come in for a second interview with owner Michael Jordan.
Not that Jordan and Jerry Sloan need much of an introduction — Sloan was the long-time coach of the Utah Jazz that took the John Stockton/Karl Malone teams to the finals only to run into Jordan’s Bulls. Sloan is an old-school, hard-a** coach who will instill discipline in the team. But at age 70 is he the right guy for a rebuilding project?
Brian Shaw is one of the top assistants in the game, having been the right hand man of Phil Jackson and this past season Frank Vogel in Indiana. Shaw is also a former player who can pull out one of his three rings from the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and impress the young players. With Shaw coming out of the Jackson coaching tree and Jordan having won under Jackson, you might see them try to become a triangle team if Shaw is hired.
Snyder is the lead assistant coach to Mike Brown with the Los Angeles Lakers right now and is considered his offense guy. He’s the unexpected guy at the dance.
If I were a better man, I would be betting on Shaw. Which is reportedly who people in Orlando like as well, but they need to move quickly. Shaw is in demand.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 34
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4