Jun 12, 2012, 12:59 AM EDT
And then there were three.
Charlotte cast a wide net looking for their next coach but that list is now apparently down to three, according to Rick Bonnell at the Charlotte Observer (ESPN broke the story).
The Charlotte Bobcats have narrowed their coaching search to three candidates: Former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, Indiana Pacers assistant Brian Shaw and Los Angeles Lakers assistant Quin Snyder, an NBA source confirmed Monday night.
Each of those men will come in for a second interview with owner Michael Jordan.
Not that Jordan and Jerry Sloan need much of an introduction — Sloan was the long-time coach of the Utah Jazz that took the John Stockton/Karl Malone teams to the finals only to run into Jordan’s Bulls. Sloan is an old-school, hard-a** coach who will instill discipline in the team. But at age 70 is he the right guy for a rebuilding project?
Brian Shaw is one of the top assistants in the game, having been the right hand man of Phil Jackson and this past season Frank Vogel in Indiana. Shaw is also a former player who can pull out one of his three rings from the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and impress the young players. With Shaw coming out of the Jackson coaching tree and Jordan having won under Jackson, you might see them try to become a triangle team if Shaw is hired.
Snyder is the lead assistant coach to Mike Brown with the Los Angeles Lakers right now and is considered his offense guy. He’s the unexpected guy at the dance.
If I were a better man, I would be betting on Shaw. Which is reportedly who people in Orlando like as well, but they need to move quickly. Shaw is in demand.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 3
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38